Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Axiom LX 31mm - poor man's "Terminagler"?

F15Rules

You may have seen my post on the "what did the postman bring" at the weekend, in which I said I have sold my Aero ED30mm SWA and bought a Celestron Axiom LX UWA (82 deg) 31mm..

I mentioned that I'd read Stu Davis' interesting thread in which he posted a nice review of a session he'd just had with his TV Genesis and his new (to him) Nagler 31mm UWA "Terminagler"..

Stu raved about the low power, widefield views this combination gave him, and I was intrigued, having recently bought a short focus F6 80mm frac with a view to using it for summer sessions and as a grab and go for when we (hopefully) go to visit friends and relatives around the country over the next few months🙂.

This scope has a good quality 2" Crayford focuser, and I have had, in the short time I've owned it, a few nice low power sessions with my Aero ED30mm 68 degree eyepiece. I have in recent years become more attracted to wider fields, and my fairly recent acquisition of Nagler T2 12mm 82deg and Morpheus 17.5mm 76 deg eyepieces has only heightened this attraction.

Having read Stu's report, I came across a set of Axiom LX's for sale, including the 31mm behemoth, at a decent price. I did some research and was intrigued to find that the 31mm in particular is well regarded in the USA, with some direct comparisons rating the Axiom 31mm as being very close to the Nagler in performance: any slight negatives I have seen relate more to the sheer size and bulk of the unit..this is by some margin the largest ep I have ever seen in my life- it weighs 1.4kg!!! 

I have read good reviews of this range on CN..not to be confused with the Luminos range which replaced the Axioms..the Axioms were made by Jinghua (JOC) who now own Explore Scientific, and the Luminos were apparently launched in a hurry to look like the Axioms but with inferior innards and optics.

Anyway, having read some favourable comparisons with the TV 31mm "Terminagler", so I went for it.. I got a shortish first light last night in the FS128 and I tried the Axiom on Vega, M57, Epsilon Lyrae, the Double Cluster and the Moon. I moved the objects from the centre to the edges in all directions, and could detect no noticeable image breakdown until c 95% out from the centre of the FOV..(bear in mind an 82deg FOV..the Tak operates at F8.1). The moon was just excellent, sharp and no hint visually of any CA or EOFB.

Here's a pic of the "megabeast", and a shot of the moon through the Axiom at 33x. 

I think this one is a keeper!

Dave

20210416_073542.jpg

IMG_20210417_164836238.jpg

IMG_20210418_230900247.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Very nice eyepiece ! One thing I didn’t like about the 31mm axiom in comparison to the nagler was the eyecup. For me at least it wasn’t very comfortable and doesn’t block any stray light. 

Other than that it’s a great value, widefield eyepiece 👍

• Thanks 1

Hi Ken,

I can see what you mean, the top of the ep is very flat..however, the helical adjustment did allow me to get a comfy viewing angle, I have it about 3-4mm above the "flat position" and this got rid for me of any kidney beaning..also, I wear a black eyepatch over my right eye and observe with my left, and didn't find any real distractions apart from the fact that the moon itself is now brightening the sky significantly..

Dave

• Like 1

That is one BIG eyepiece! I myself have not used one but, I am curious about such low power wide field views through such a long FL eyepiece. Unfortunately, I do seem to have some astigmatism

which is worse at low powers.

It should be the same internally as the original 30mm ES-82 mushroom top that I have along with the 30mm Meade 5000 UWA.  It's a good eyepiece other than the ring of fire effect.  Put the moon out there in the last 15% of the field and watch it turn orange.

It is possible to decloak it to drop a good chunk of its weight and bulk, though I'm not sure of the details how.  My 30mm ES-82 required prying off the upper rubber ring.  It was glued down pretty solidly.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen that thread.. I understand why people might do this, however I do quite like the Axiom as it is and my Tak focuser handles it fine.

Regarding the "ring of fire" effect, most UWA eps show this to some extent ( my Morpheus 17.5 does a little) - but only noticeably in daylight. At night I don't find it an issue on any of my eps including the Axiom.

Dave

• Like 2

Nice one Dave! Apologies if I’ve caused you to spend more cash 🤣🤣. Sounds like a good value purchase giving excellent results. Will be interesting to see how it fairs in the 80mm, giving you a lovely big fov, over 5 degrees.

• Thanks 1