Focal Reducer for RC6

Good day everyone 😁

Just wondering about focal reducers for my iOptron RC6 

Has anyone used this one ,
Astro Essentials 0.75x Reducer for StellaLyra / GSO Ritchey Chretien OTA

and if so is it worth getting or should i try and get the CCDT67 reducer

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I have one and it seems to work a treat - not noticed any issues at all.

Could i just ask, have you piggy backed any smaller scope on your RC6

3 minutes ago, JemC said:

Could i just ask, have you piggy backed any smaller scope on your RC6

Yes - a SW EvoGuide 50ED with ASi120MM-mini - for guiding.

It can be quite tricky to achieve DEC balance once the camera and R/F are fitted on the RC; the EvoGuide helps in that respect.

HTH :) 

6 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Yes - FLO sell the bar and fittings you need. :) 

The RC really needs a much longer lower bar that extends beyond the back of the OTA.

HTH :) 

Brilliant,
So the red one fits 😁 just emailed FLO and asked them that question,

totally agree with the longer bar 

Thanks for letting me pester you about it ,

Regards

James

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 12:50, Adreneline said:

I have one and it seems to work a treat - not noticed any issues at all.

HTH

I have a StellaLyra RC6 and that focal reducer. Can't seem to find focus... (without it, 50mm+25mm extension rings and Canon M50 with T-adapter work fine). Does the reducer move the focus point toward or away from the scope?

14 minutes ago, Dave Carey said:

I have a StellaLyra RC6 and that focal reducer. Can't seem to find focus... (without it, 50mm+25mm extension rings and Canon M50 with T-adapter work fine). Does the reducer move the focus point toward or away from the scope?

Focal reducers usually move focus point towards the telescope - if you use extension tubes - you might need to remove some of them.

Also, be careful to get distance between focal reducer and sensor right - changing that distance also changes reduction factor - more distance you put between the two - larger reduction you get - which in turn means:

1. you'll need even more inward focuser travel

2. more aberrations can appear on outer parts of the image (you are trying to fit larger field onto same sensor size - and larger field might not be as well corrected).

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 11:41, JemC said:

Has anyone used this one ,
Astro Essentials 0.75x Reducer for StellaLyra / GSO Ritchey Chretien OTA

The only thing to be aware of with this reducer is the imaging circle is quite small. I returned mine and replaced it with the TS version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Carey said:

56 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Focal reducers usually move focus point towards the telescope - if you use extension tubes - you might need to remove some of them.

Exactly my experience although I managed to find focus with the extensions still in place albeit with little extension on the drawer tube.

50 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

... more aberrations can appear on outer parts of the image (you are trying to fit larger field onto same sensor size - and larger field might not be as well corrected).

I've only managed one image with mine so far but I was fairly pleased with the end result (unguided).

There's always room for improvement :)

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi. I have the ipptron rc6 and I use the revalation astro focal reducer and it seems to work fine. 

I also have attached my guidescope under my scope and it cures the back heavy balance issue and also keeps the moi as low as possible so I'm not putting undue stress on my heq5 with my guiding regularly being around 0.7 - 0.8 arc seconds. 

20210331_195259.jpg

Edited by Wonderweb
Wrong picture
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wonderweb said:

I also have attached my guidescope under my scope and it cures the back heavy balance issue

Nice, i like how you have that set up, 😁
Can i ask what size bolt/screw you used to fasten to the red dovetail bar and what is the smaller scope

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hi colleagues!, 

Just found this post as I'm searching for answers for my issue with a reducer actually, sorry if I bring this in here, and maybe it will be useful information for everyone!.

I have my RC6" working with a reducer, and I get this weird shadow of the spider veins into the image itself, also I get a reflection donut somewhere along the filter drawer or the reducer, has anyone using a reducer here has came across with such thing?.

my current set up goes like this cam+filterdrawer+extension+reducer+focuser.

I'm using a ZWO ASI533 along with a filter zwo drawer.

photos as example

IMG_0596.JPG

Small.jpg

I get the donut on the brightest stars, it's not really an issue as you wouldn't include them in the photo in this aperture.  Can't say anything about the shadows though, never had a problem with it.  Did you check the effective focal length you get with the reductor?  At 8cm it's the rated .75x. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2021 at 04:30, Felipe said:

Hi colleagues!, 

Just found this post as I'm searching for answers for my issue with a reducer actually, sorry if I bring this in here, and maybe it will be useful information for everyone!.

I have my RC6" working with a reducer, and I get this weird shadow of the spider veins into the image itself, also I get a reflection donut somewhere along the filter drawer or the reducer, has anyone using a reducer here has came across with such thing?.

my current set up goes like this cam+filterdrawer+extension+reducer+focuser.

I'm using a ZWO ASI533 along with a filter zwo drawer.

photos as example

IMG_0596.JPG

Small.jpg

Hi. Which reducer are you using? Is it the 0.75x? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 20:58, Wonderweb said:

Hi. Which reducer are you using? Is it the 0.75x? 

Hi!, that took long time, 

I'm using the GSO focal reducer 0.75x, I haven't been able to use it again due to bad weather, and I decided to get a different reducer, the CCDT67 by AstroPhysics.

thanks!.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2021 at 07:05, Felipe said:

Hi!, that took long time, 

I'm using the GSO focal reducer 0.75x, I haven't been able to use it again due to bad weather, and I decided to get a different reducer, the CCDT67 by AstroPhysics.

thanks!.

I have been looking at that reducer myself. What do you think of it?