SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Early morning gas, Giants.

maw lod qan

The two beauties clear the tree tops at my place only 30 minutes before the Sun begins to light up the Eastern horizon putting an end to my viewing.

I was able to view Jupiter and Saturn this morning till the fog messed up the air.

Even with fog building I could make out decent banding on Jupiter. Three moons were spread out to one side, one on the other side.

With averted vision I could just see the Cassini division on Saturn. Two of it's moons were very faint some distance from the planet.

By the time the Sun ruined viewing, Saturn was about 40° above the horizon.  Jupiter even less.

To view the Mercury transit, I cut down a tree! These that block my view are safe from that fate!😁

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I managed to observe Jupiter today in daylight around 5:30am, about half an hour after sunrise. The colours were washed out but several cloud bands were easily seen at 100x and the view was holding up until 170x. I used Skymax 127, which came out warm from the house, but the view was pretty good nevertheless.

Jupiter is perfectly visible until about 1 hour after sunrise in 10x50 binoculars, that's how I found it first.

Currently both Jupiter and Saturn are about 20degrees above horizon at sunrise in the UK, which makes them already better placed than all of last year :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nik271 said:

I managed to observe Jupiter today in daylight around 5:30am, about half an hour after sunrise. The colours were washed out but several cloud bands were easily seen at 100x and the view was holding up until 170x. I used Skymax 127, which came out warm from the house, but the view was pretty good nevertheless.

Jupiter is perfectly visible until about 1 hour after sunrise in 10x50 binoculars, that's how I found it first.

Currently both Jupiter and Saturn are about 20degrees above horizon at sunrise in the UK, which makes them already better placed than all of last year :)

nice one nik

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Well done 👌 I did read that Jupiter should get to around 26' through next month, but you will need to set the alarm early. If they clear 20', I just stand a chance so finger crossed.

• Thanks 1