Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THIS MUST BE THE BEST LUNAR SOFTWARE FOR LUNAR OBSERVERS !

paulastro

I have posted about this before, but its so good here's another plug with an illustration how good it really is.  I'm talking about NASA's SVS ( Scientific Visualization Studio) software of the Moon Phase and Libration 2021. Phew, that's a mouthful!

It shows an eeringly accurate view of the Moons terminator for the date and time you enter - the time in UT entered for the nearest hour.  The view is almost exactly what you will will see through your telescope.

Below is a crop from a single frame I took with my Tecnosky 102ED F7 last evening at 8.50 pm and what the SVS came up with (also a crop) when I entered the date and time, April 17th 20 hours UT.   

824411263_MoonTheophilosTriocrop.jpg.ed2fe972184f41add0bd30b412679315.jpg

1304439527_TheoTrioNASA.jpg.8e0589a961d785a8a48a463ddee334db.jpg

I think it's quite remarkable, especially considering you can only set the time in hourly intervals.

When you enter the time or date it comes up with a low res image which you tap to get the high res TIFF file.  My ancient smart phone couldn't download the high res image, but a more modern one will.  I used my laptop to get high res.

It's all free as well, just click on the link below to try it out.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4874

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Paul

just tried this out thanks, using a ropey smart phone photo from Last Friday compared with the NASA app.

it works really well! should be even better results when I put a bit more effort in.

(Mine are of course flipped East West)

71E9138B-DA32-4008-9FDF-F90888406170.jpeg

BE6AEAC5-3189-4EC6-A0B9-661CACAA24DB.jpeg

• Like 2