SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Uppsala old observatory, Sweden

This is a follow up to the article "Old Swedish observatories" I translated not long time ago. We made a visit to Uppsala old observatory  which is placed in a beautiful park almost in center of Uppsala in Sweden.

I took some photos from the visit and have tried to find some information to it:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/uppsala-old-observatory/01-uppsala-old-observatory.html

/Lars

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Astrofriend said:

Hi Bish,

Glad to hear you find some interesting. What kind of project do you do in the astronomy area ?

ps.

Nice with cars in the summer with no dark skies.

/Lars

Hi  Lars,

I have a mobile planetarium that I used to take to schools  scout groups etc until coronavirus. I like the idea of visiting as many observatories as you can. May be when I can travel I will make a start.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Mark,

I don't think so, the old observatories in Stockholm has a more tradional shape of the dome. It looks like it is two roofs, the inner roof maybe to prevent condensed water drop down on the instrument, just a guess from me.

/Lars

• Like 1

Thank you for continuing to share your fine images and details of these fascinating old observatories and instruments. :thumbsup:

I wonder if anybody here has any experience of using such large instruments themselves?
Were these large telescopes really "rock steady" in use? Did they suffer from backlash?

Not only did they mount one large refractor but sometimes added a second or third. Such confidence!
There is no sign on professional mountings and instruments that weight was ever an issue.
Most used generously sized iron or bronze castings and steel tubes. Aluminium was not even an option in those days.

There are remarkably few amateur equatorial mountings today which pretend to support even modestly sized refractors. [Over 20cm aperture.]
Mostly, I presume, because the amateur insists on easy mobility even in their old age.

The reflector is the instrument of choice for many amateurs. With many large apertures now mounted on driven, plywood mountings.

While the large refractor has become more of a historical curiosity.

The 28” Great Equatorial at Greenwich Royal Observatory we were told weighs 28 tonnes (mount and scope) and is driven by a motor the size of a baked bean tin and can be moved with a finger it’s so well balanced. Different design of mount though- it’s an English yoke mount

MarkA1D4A269-3498-4FFC-890B-11A81AA46C5B.thumb.jpeg.2fae9eac5bb4b112dbacfe8b609b19cf.jpegCEFE90BE-346B-4A50-BB96-C919996DDC14.thumb.jpeg.4f68927ef295e801db9fd6660638d5e4.jpeg

• Like 2

When we built a modified English mount for our 14-inch f/9 telescope at school in the 70s, the bulk of the construction (including the dome) was plywood. The polar axis was the axle from a family saloon and the RA motor was a VW beetle wiper motor (tho we called it a “viper” motor 😊)

• Like 1

The problem with the English mounting and Yoke variants is providing the tall northern pier.

I visited Herstmonceux with the Bath Astronomical Society well over 40 years ago. 
Now Bath Astronomers associated with the Herschel Society.

We even got to climb on the Isaac Newton 98" mounting. That was before it was relocated.
As were other instruments. The scale of which were truly breathtaking!

Hi,

I looked through  the smaller of the twin refrators at Stockhom Observatory. It's a 50 cm or 20" refractor. We looked at Jupiter, about 25 years ago. The telescope was very easy to move, but when it starts to move the inertia make it continue move. We didn't use the motor drive for this observation. But it was also a very tiny motor. On the Uppsala old observatory it was a mechanical motor.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/saltsjobaden-observatory/02b-stockholms-observatory.html

I have two more observatories in line for a report, both in Sweden and they are more modern.

/Lars

• Like 1

Thank you Lars.

Do you have any recollection of the quality of the image of Jupiter in the big refractor? 

I must say that your images of the observatories and instruments are really excellent. :thumbsup:

Both in quality and detail.

Hi,

It was long time ago, only remember the seeing looks terrible. The observatory photos I took with my Canon 6D and a Tokina 24-75mm f/2.8, it has stabilization and I didn't use tripod or flash. Nowadays when I travel I leave that heavy camera at home. Only use my smartphone for filming and photo. Daytime the photos is okay.

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend
  • Like 1