Narrowband

M101 the Pinwheel Galaxy

mackiedlm

I seem to have great difficulty getting a good result on M101. It feels like it should be a relatively easy target - well placed for me, bright, nice contrast plenty of structure etc. But it just never seems to be that easy, for me at least.

This was a bit of an experiment using lower gain and a shorter exposure (gain 0, 120s) as I was having trouble with my background in the previous image. I'm not sure it made much difference overall. Its better than my previous M101's but still not where i'd like to get to with it.

This is 160 x 120s, with the SW Evostar 80ED on the NEQ6 and the ASI2600mc

C & C appreciated

M101_Final.thumb.png.48de4eb42594844743d5c814488c11a0.png

Edited by mackiedlm
  • Like 7

I don't see much wrong with that image at all, in fact a great image, maybe could do with a more aggressive crop but still great.
Due to its position and the lack of high up nebulas I think this is a very popular target at moment.

With a mono and filters I have struggles to get the colours anywhere near that, I have a fair bit of detail but very little in the way of colour.

Steve

• Like 1

That's a cracking image of M101, I'd be really pleased with it. The colour is superb and loads of detail. I think it just has quite low surface brighhtness which  can make it tricky.

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 2