SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

14.04.2021 Multiple spot

Rusted

A sunny morning had me back in the observatory.

Nothing worked! Flat batteries and Firefox madness.

I managed a couple of poor captures through clouds but nothing since. 

14042021 .jpg

14.0.4.2021 2.jpg

14042021 col.jpg

14.0.4.2021 2 col.jpg

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

It’s a very nice AR to view in Ha. I was out at lunchtime with my 102mm PST mod and had some excellent views, not dissimilar to your image.

Hi Stu,

I just had a look in white light. At least four dark spots in my old Vixen 90mm/f11 with Lunt wedge.
The sun has come back out again after loads of cloud but the seeing has gone completely mushy in H-a.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Hi Stu,

I just had a look in white light. At least four dark spots in my old Vixen 90mm/f11 with Lunt wedge.
The sun has come back out again after loads of cloud but the seeing has gone completely mushy in H-a.

Yep, it’s nice. I think I counted 12 or 14 including the larger spots and the smaller pores. Looking cloudy here for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

Well done getting some captures despite the difficulties! Thanks for the view.

My scope is out here but not much luck so far, a fleeting view of a prom. I wanted to see if there was a big faint prom, I wondered if there was something showing up on Gong at 9 o'clock, partly cropped off.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well done getting some captures despite the difficulties! Thanks for the view.

My scope is out here but not much luck so far, a fleeting view of a prom. I wanted to see if there was a big faint prom, I wondered if there was something showing up on Gong at 9 o'clock, partly cropped off.

@Nigella Bryant has caught it nicely in this thread, I saw it early, looked relatively faint but interesting structure to it. There was also a larger brighter arcing prom which shows on Gong too.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody.  :thumbsup:

The seeing just did not support "serious" imaging. Imppg saved the day again.
I was still trying after 6pm but the cloud was battling with the trees for submission.
Of course it is clear now that I have packed up and the trees have won the day. :rolleyes2:

• Haha 1

The ‘Eiffel Tower’ prom was most impressive, though I thought it looked more like the Sagrada Familia (for any lovers of Barcelona’s great cathedral out there).
Didn’t think that ‘Blackpool Tower’ prom was quite the right name to reflect such magnificence.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had another very quick look later on, not great conditions but good to catch them again. I’ve always though the PST mod was much better on proms than surface detail, it actually there was a lot visible today, contrast pretty good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I had another very quick look later on, not great conditions but good to catch them again. I’ve always though the PST mod was much better on proms than surface detail, it actually there was a lot visible today, contrast pretty good.

Good stuff Stu - would like to have a peer through your scope one day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Interesting you should say that. I have used a PST etalon with both of my 6" refractors.
The original blocking filter is far better at proms than the Lunt B1200S2 which I bought later.
While the Lunt is [usually] far better at surface detail. Seeing permitting of course.

The PST BF lets far more light through [than the Lunt] allowing a much lower gain increase for pulling out the proms.
The extra gain required by the Lunt spoils the contrast for proms or seriously slows the FPS if the gain is left alone.

Peter Drew has repeatedly mentioned that the relatively tiny PST BF is well worth using.
I would fully agree if proms are the main target. For surface detail the bigger Lunt [usually] wins.

Edited by Rusted
typo

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

Interesting you should say that. I have used a PST etalon with both of my 6" refractors.
The original blocking filter is far better at proms than the Lunt B1200S2 which I bought later.
While the Lunt is [usually] far better at surface detail. Seeing permitting of course.

The PST BF lets far more light through [than the Lunt] allowing a much lower gain increase for pulling out the proms.
The extra gain required by the Lunt spoils the contrast for proms or seriously slows the FPS if the gain is left alone.

Peter Drew has repeatedly mentioned that the relatively tiny PST BF is well worth using.
I would fully agree if proms are the main target. For surface detail the bigger Lunt [usually] wins.

My PST Mod was made by the great man himself, and very good it is too. I’m sure other Ha scopes outperform it on surface detail, but I’m pleased with how it performs on these. I’ve often wondered whether a 60mm DS would be possible to add at some stage when funds permit.

On proms it is amazing, I’ve had some fantastic sights through it. I do have an old 6” f10 OTA in the garage which one day I will get sorted as a PST Mod.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

My PST Mod was made by the great man himself, and very good it is too. I’m sure other Ha scopes outperform it on surface detail, but I’m pleased with how it performs on these. I’ve often wondered whether a 60mm DS would be possible to add at some stage when funds permit.

On proms it is amazing, I’ve had some fantastic sights through it. I do have an old 6” f10 OTA in the garage which one day I will get sorted as a PST Mod.

I bought a 150mm f/10 iStar objective to replace my old [secondhand] Celestron F/8 with internal GPC and sub aperture D-ERF.
F/10 directly matches the PST etalon without needing further optics. Though I had to buy a larger Baader D-ERF [160mm.]
Just to stop me setting fire to aperture stop rings in the dewshield. :icon_clown: Solar imaging, even with PST mods, is not a cheap hobby!