Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William optics ZS61 + eos 800d

Hello all!

I've had the 800d for general use for a while but decided to give it a go in the astrophotography world. So after extensive research I've paired it with the ZS61, without the flattener as I understand for now I'll just have to crop it to 85%. Eventually the flattener will be purchased. 

My question is will I need any extension in it to achieve focus? I understand I'll find out when I first come to use it - just hoping anyone out there with experience of this before I set up and realise I can't achieve focus!

I purchased the baader t ring adapter with a clear filter just for extra protection from dust for the camera, but I don't believe this has any significant extension.

Hope there's someone out there who has the answer!

Thanks for your help,

Grant

If you have the t-ring then attach it to the DSLR and if possible attach to the focuser, not sure how easy or simple that bit will be. Try try it out. The zs61 has a lot of focuser travel, so there is a chance that you may not required any extension. It is the easiest way to find out before you go buying extension tubes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply's!

I will try it tomorrow in the daytime to see if it can achieve focus (funnily enough I never thought of that, I just imagined myself getting my tripod level, polar aligning the tracker, getting the settings on the camera right then realising I cant focus it😆)

If I can then its all good, if not then I know where I can buy one! 👌

Grant

• Like 1

Just gave it a test, no focus achieved! Only just out. Now begs the question, buy an extension or suck it up and get the field flattener. That is if the field flattener will even give it enough extension?

Edited by Grant93

1 hour ago, Grant93 said:

Just gave it a test, no focus achieved! Only just out. Now begs the question, buy an extension or suck it up and get the field flattener. That is if the field flattener will even give it enough extension?

I have the Z61 and an EOS 77D, which I believe is similar to the 800D. I use the WO field flattener and 48 mm T-mount, and I can focus without any other additions, if that helps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Felias said:

I have the Z61 and an EOS 77D, which I believe is similar to the 800D. I use the WO field flattener and 48 mm T-mount, and I can focus without any other additions, if that helps.

I believe it does help, if that 48mm isn't an extension, as far as I understand that means the WO flattener is enough extension to achieve focus.

May I ask what do your images look like without the flattener? If you have ever tried it. I heard you just have to crop it to 85%, as its only the outer parts of the image thats effected if a flattener isn't used.

Thank you!

Yes, the 48 mm is just the camera adapter, I don't need any extra extension to focus. Here is the first light of my setup, I believe it's properly focused; I know the moon isn't an ideal target for the Z61, but we haven't had ideal weather in the past few months, so I have only been out three times,

1187458743_FINAL(2)-small.jpg.a761526ddc067a5ec5148098b1ac2ab1.jpg

I have never tried without the flattener, but you can search images here or in google, I saw a few when I researched about the telescope before buying it last November, and I decided to purchase the flattener based on those.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Felias said:

Yes, the 48 mm is just the camera adapter, I don't need any extra extension to focus. Here is the first light of my setup, I believe it's properly focused; I know the moon isn't an ideal target for the Z61, but we haven't had ideal weather in the past few months, so I have only been out three times,

1187458743_FINAL(2)-small.jpg.a761526ddc067a5ec5148098b1ac2ab1.jpg

I have never tried without the flattener, but you can search images here or in google, I saw a few when I researched about the telescope before buying it last November, and I decided to purchase the flattener based on those.

Thank you for the information! 

Very nice image also.. you answered another question I wasn't originally going to ask also haha, I was wondering how well it would image the moon! The answer is very well 👌🙂

Grant

3 hours ago, Grant93 said:

Thank you for the information! 

Very nice image also.. you answered another question I wasn't originally going to ask also haha, I was wondering how well it would image the moon! The answer is very well 👌🙂

Grant

Thanks, happy to be of help! If you want to know how cropped the image is, this is a single light frame, before stacking:

IMG_4462.jpg.21505485f27b7a83a5fe4b4e2948d4a6.jpg