Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

GSO/AT/TS/omegon 6" f/12 classic cassegrain experiences


Recommended Posts

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience with the in subject mentioned telescope? Especially experience with lunar/planetary imaging would be appreciated.

I'm in the market for a grab 'n go telescope that rides nicely on my GP-DX but has better resolution and longer focal length than my current 4" vixen ED.

The specs of the 6" Classic Cassegrain fit my bill perfectly, as it should mate perfectly with the QHY462 and it should have enough back focus so that even using a flip mirror and camera combo will match well. 

And on top of this all it's very reasonably priced.

Thanks,

Wouter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is a great lunar / planetary scope. Had the StellaLyra version although now replaced with a 125mm APO.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/stellalyra-6-f12-m-crf-classical-cassegrain-telescope-ota.html

I did replace the stock focuser with a Baader RT Steeltrack though. The stock focuser is “adequate’” but a Steeltrack is so much nicer.

D6F9FCD4-16AB-4C45-BD24-A718077876C6.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Yes it is a great lunar / planetary scope. Had the StellaLyra version although now replaced with a 125mm APO.

 

Thanks John,

Have you used it for imaging or visual only? If used for imaging would you like to share some images?

Clear skies,

Wouter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used it for visual only but feel it has great potential as a lunar / planetary imaging scope. Sharper on axis than a mak which should make for good imaging. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, johninderby said:

I used it for visual only but feel it has great potential as a lunar / planetary imaging scope. Sharper on axis than a mak which should make for good imaging. 

I bought this exact scope from @johninderby and it’s fantastic for lunar. I have only used it visually so far and not had a chance to use it on planets. I also have Mak 127, and whilst that is a great scope (I still use it for binoviewing), the 6”CC is just that bit better 👍

It is significantly larger and heavier, so I use it on the AZ100, whereas the Mak127 did also work on the ScopeTech Zero. 

The other big advantage is that it doesn’t dew up, which both the Mak and my C5 will do, without dew shield and heater (needed some nights). 

It’s a great scope 😀

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I have the Stellalyra CC6 which I use for Grab and Go visual alongside a Tak 76. I use it on a Mini Ercole Giro which holds it well. Cool down is fast due to open tube, it's sharp and contrasty.  Not as sharp as a Tak 76, but then nothing else I've used is!

Great for getting some aperture on small DSOs like open clusters, small nebs, galaxies.

For really grabbing faint fuzzies I use it's big bro the CC8, which is now my main high aperture scope (even though I also have a good 10" dob, I prefer the CC8 alongside a 127mm Apo).

 

IMG_20210306_215713.jpg

IMG_20210412_004450.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments.. appreciated.

So it seems that it is a good scope. Now if someone just had some high res lunar images with it 😉

Clear skies,

Wouter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody for you comments and impressions of these cassegrain telescopes. Based on your and the opinions on other platforms I decided to order mine. It was even in stock. So probaly somehere after the weekend I should receive my new gear.

Apologies for any clouds the next few weeks 😉

Wouter

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wouterdhoye said:

Thanks everybody for you comments and impressions of these cassegrain telescopes. Based on your and the opinions on other platforms I decided to order mine. It was even in stock. So probaly somehere after the weekend I should receive my new gear.

Apologies for any clouds the next few weeks 😉

Wouter

Congrats. Try some lunar imaging Wouter. Been waiting to see some good lunar images with these designs

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wouterdhoye said:

The whole purpose is to take lunar shots. 😀 It’s supposed to be an alternative to use until my big CFF cassegrain is recomissioned. 

Just looked at your big CFF cassegrain shots. lovely work Wouter. As soon as you get any lunar with it please post up. I keep thinking about this scope also

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The new scope arrived today. Mine is the Omegon version. And about 30minutes after delivery clouds rolled in. 
 

5549C4B2-AF05-4D55-8B3B-B5C741C9B7FE.thumb.jpeg.a42132bb48ce856b95d3e9b5eaa6a5e0.jpeg

Fit and finish seem surprisingly good (I never had a Taiwanese scope) The focuser is smooth without play/wobble. 
The optics are pristine. Only thing i noticed was that the finder shoe is a bit too tight for my baader rdf.
Also collimation seems to be a bit off but that is to be expected .

More after first light. First impressions are good though.

Clear skies,

Wouter.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wouterdhoye said:

The new scope arrived today. Mine is the Omegon version. And about 30minutes after delivery clouds rolled in. 
 

5549C4B2-AF05-4D55-8B3B-B5C741C9B7FE.thumb.jpeg.a42132bb48ce856b95d3e9b5eaa6a5e0.jpeg

Fit and finish seem surprisingly good (I never had a Taiwanese scope) The focuser is smooth without play/wobble. 
The optics are pristine. Only thing i noticed was that the finder shoe is a bit too tight for my baader rdf.
Also collimation seems to be a bit off but that is to be expected .

More after first light. First impressions are good though.

Clear skies,

Wouter.

 

Tip: don't try to recollimate it until you've star tested it on real sky. In day time testing with a laser or similar, the collimation will seem to be off by several cm on the primary.  This is because the focuser is mounted on a slant. These scopes are usually perfect out of the factory. Don't change it until you've used it at night...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johninderby said:

The StellaLyra CC6” I had arrived perfectly collimated and was still perfectly collimated after I sold it and shipped it to another SGL member. 

I can attest to that, as the buyer of your CC6”... it arrived in perfect collimation and has remained so ever since 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.