Narrowband

EQ2's slowmotion controls on the wrong side?

Hi, I'm 100% new to astronomy, and I'm using a 7 year old eq2-mount telescope. After a few nights of awkwardly using the RA wheel I have to ask, aren't the RA slow motion controls on the opposite side to the eyepiece? How am I supposed to use them? Do I have to hug the telescope, or put the finder in the bottom? I also don't understand why one of the knobs' dial doesn't move when I move it around. Thank you very much, all help is appreciated. By the way there's a PDF by skywatchers I think, and that's all that came in the box as an instruction manual, the illustration is pretty accurate, my telescope is a reflective telescope

Hi, I don't have the original papers, but I believe it's an Alstar Ret 52. In the manual it comes like this (you can see the RA slow mo is on the right), but I've seen some photos online where the dec slow mo is on the front, and thus th RA on te right is that how it's supposed to be?

12249347-C510-4BA2-AC2A-93CAB70B7E77-184-00000017E9AA06F7.jpg

Edited by Danifact

I see your problem. The mount does not look like it was designed for a reflector.  I would not worry about the 'dials'- you can look up what setting cirlclea are for and how they work, but the short answer is that on a mount like this they are pretty useless anyway.

I suggest rotating the tube in the tube rings so that the finder is at the bottom and the telescope eyepiece is on the other side.  You may have to rotate the tube anyway to conveniently observe in various points of the sky.  Consider drilling holes so you can move the finder, or get a second, red-dot finder that you can stick on the tube in a convenient position.

Looks to be a standard EQ2 mount.

The position of the RA flexible control relative to the eyepiece will vary depending on whether objects in the northern or southern sky are being viewed. Equatorial mounts are designed to be polar aligned to subsequently allow objects in the telescope's field of viewed to be tracked by adjusting only the RA control.

This can be a bit tricky to understand but there are lots of youtube videos explaining this. Here is an example with an EQ2 (note this is for the southern hemisphere - for the northern hemisphere the RA axis is aligned with the north pole): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aailjnVZt8

These longer slow motion control cables are typically used for long refractors where you are situated quite a bit away from the mount when you are observing. A reflector on a EQ mount means you will be standing or seated at the side of the tube next to the mount and the long cables are too long.

I have a Vixen reflector on a EQ mount and it came with a solid plastic fine control knob / rod (around 15cm long) for one axis aswell as just a knob for the other axis. Just like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5525_Control-Knob-for-manual-fine-adjustment-of-mounts-from-Vixen--Skywatcher-etc-.html

I'm not sure if these will fit an Eq2 though.

IMG_20210414_135636871.jpg

Edited by Peter_D

Looking at the user guide for the EQ2, it appears to normally be supplied with one long and one short control cable whereas your photo appears to show two long cables.

The fittings for the cables are standard so you could buy a short cable (couldn't find a link to one thought) or control knob like this Vixen one:

https://www.bresser.de/Astronomie/Zubehoer/Montierungen/Vixen-Feinjustageknopf-fuer-AP-GP2-und-GPD2-Montierungen.html

HTH

Cheers, Pete

image.png.853e2027abee93d426a786b6d412e6ac.png