SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Unnamed IFN in Camelopardalis

gorann

This is a two-panel mosaic of Integrated Flux Nebulosity (IFN) a bit outside the area defined by Mandel-Wilson as MW5 (Fish Hook Nebula). I found it surfing on Aladin Sky Atlas (DSS data) but it is very weak there. To me it looks like a giant lobster claw chasing a very scared creature up to the left (which is northwards). That scared creature also looks a bit like dark nebulosity rather than IFN.

The IFN is very faint so one needs a dark site to image it and a light bucket like the RASA8 and a good low noise camera. Then the data still have to be stretched a lot so stars suffer a bit (with fuzzy halos) but I still find them acceptable.

I have not found any other images of these structures. May I suggest that it could be called the Gigantic Claw Nebula since it coveres abut 3° of the sky, or The Predator - Pray Nebula?

I captured it during one night (10-11 April) with two RASA8, each taking one panel. Cameras: ASI2600MC (gain 100, no filter). Mounts: iOptron CEM70 and Mesu200. Totally 90 x 5 min, so 7.5 hours. Processed in PI and PS.

20210410-11 IFNnearFishHook RASA MosaicPS40smallSign.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-04-12 kl. 11.30.19.png

Edited by gorann
  • Like 18

Another glorious image Goran. It strikes me that with your equipment and skies, it doesn't matter where you point your scopes, you will find something interesting.

How about doing a "Hole Observatory Deep Field" , just point your scope at an empty piece of sky, and see what you find? 😉

• Like 2

Thanks Steve! I may save on a "Hole Observatory Deep Field" as I expect that pointing the scope at random or on empty sky will come naturally one day as an effect of senility in an aging astrophotographer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Good find, not much showing here on the SFD dust map here (select from the imagery dropdown at bottom-left).

Thanks!. No I find that survey a bit useless for finding targets and there are no stars so difficult to orient. Then Aladin Sky Atlas DSS2red is better but still not great. Here are what this area looks like in the two surveys (The Fish Hook nebula is up to the left and my image is in the center or to the right of these images). For the Aladin image I have done a frame grab and stretched it hard PS - otherwise it just shows dark sky.

Skärmavbild 2021-04-12 kl. 14.23.13.png

Aladin DSS2red Giant claw.jpg

Edited by gorann

3 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Twin RASA 8s!  Names are great when they describe what an object looks like  :) Stag Beetle Nebula?

Lovely work.  Cheers, Paul

Thanks a lot Paul! Why did I not think about that - I would just have had to look at what is hanging on my wall here, below a crayfish (but there is already a lobster claw nebula) - I used to collect beetles.......

20210412_155543_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1