sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

I've been trying to image a couple of galaxies per night, one pre and one post flip.  On early Saturday morning at 1:30am I changed over to M82, and acquired 63 x 3 mins subs, OSC, totalling 3 hours and 9 minutes of data. 

Camera: ZWO 2600MC at -10 deg C, gain 100, offset 50

Telescope: Skywatcher 250PX (blue tube), 1200mm F4.7

Mount: Mesu e200

Guiding: ZWO OAGv2, 290MM, PHD2

Filters: None

Software: APT for capture, APP and PS for processing

I havent really had a chance to get much use out of this camera since I bought it in December, and I havent processed many OSC images before.  I've a bit of work to do, but still very happy with the quality of the data for just 3 hours of integration time.  I would like to add some Ha to this, but purposely didnt bother during the recent clear spell, as it was moonless nights and I gathered some broadband data on other targets instead.

CC welcome.

Adam

M82-RGB-session_1-test1-bin2x2.jpg

• Like 24

Nice one Adam, been trolling round the galaxy clusters with the ZWO ASI2600MC in wide field using the Optolong LeNhance filter then camera died, got replacement from Flo but now got sidetracked using SCT 😄

Dave 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

then camera died

Cheers Dave.  Thats bad about the camera.  I'm sure I've only had about 20 hours of use from the camera in the past four months, and 95% of that has been in the last week. 

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Cheers Dave.  Thats bad about the camera.  I'm sure I've only had about 20 hours of use from the camera in the past four months, and 95% of that has been in the last week. 

It hadn't had much use then it started intermittently taking green images.

Flo quickly sent replacement :thumbsup:

Dave

235236849_ZWOASI2600MCGreen.PNG.b12b77b539d5235ed240593377baa992.PNG

Just now, Davey-T said:

It hadn't had much use then it started intermittently taking green images.

Flo quickly sent replacement :thumbsup:

Dave

235236849_ZWOASI2600MCGreen.PNG.b12b77b539d5235ed240593377baa992.PNG

Some sort of electronic fault, at least it's getting sorted :D

Incidentally all my images are green when I open them, but at least they are consistent lol

18 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Incidentally all my images are green when I open them, but at least they are consistent lol

That's an ASIAIR Pro preview so should be in colour, here's one, out of focus indoors should be in colour.

Dave

554093573_ZWOASI2600MCGreen2.PNG.120f369cdeed238b94edc706fd733e91.PNG

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

That's an ASIAIR Pro preview so should be in colour, here's one, out of focus indoors should be in colour.

Dave

554093573_ZWOASI2600MCGreen2.PNG.120f369cdeed238b94edc706fd733e91.PNG

I was using SC myself with the camera, and definitely nothing like your green image.

image.thumb.png.206855790d193b5fdc0d5d649b7ad61c.png

Very nice Adam. I love the colour you've got in this, the blues and magenta in the galaxy are gorgeous! 

I wonder do you have some tilt issues? The stars seem to become elongated the more you move across the image from left to right. I'm no expert on tilt though! 

Also, what's with the streaks coming off the bright star at lower-left? Some sort of reflection maybe?

Like you say, it just needs some Ha now, which will make an already great image even better. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice Adam. I love the colour you've got in this, the blues and magenta in the galaxy are gorgeous! 

Thanks :D I follow the routine that you showed me for processing colour data in APP, and I have to say it's fantastic.  Gone are my yellow images, and finally I have something that is vibrant - those blues and purples just pop out!  I have some data on M108 that I took a few days ago, and I did a quick process with the same routine, and the colours just shine out. 

image.thumb.png.097a163fd8b7ea9029bf4b359f3875d1.png

11 minutes ago, Xiga said:

I wonder do you have some tilt issues? The stars seem to become elongated the more you move across the image from left to right. I'm no expert on tilt though! 

Also, what's with the streaks coming off the bright star at lower-left? Some sort of reflection maybe?

There is some tilt - it's worse on some targets and disappears on others depending on whereabouts in the sky I'm point.  The focuser is a possible source, but the metal is so thin I think it could be from the metal tube itself bending/flexing around the focuser or even the mirror cell.  I think I'm happy enough to live with it though, just glad to be getting something!

The reflection has appeared before - do you remember my NGC4565 image last year there was similar streak?  The secondary edges are not blackened at all, so that would be a good starting point, a job for the summer rainy days.   I think it's one streak, but with dithering of 63 frames it has been smeared over a larger area. 

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks :D I follow the routine that you showed me for processing colour data in APP, and I have to say it's fantastic.  Gone are my yellow images, and finally I have something that is vibrant - those blues and purples just pop out!  I have some data on M108 that I took a few days ago, and I did a quick process with the same routine, and the colours just shine out. 

image.thumb.png.097a163fd8b7ea9029bf4b359f3875d1.png

There is some tilt - it's worse on some targets and disappears on others depending on whereabouts in the sky I'm point.  The focuser is a possible source, but the metal is so thin I think it could be from the metal tube itself bending/flexing around the focuser or even the mirror cell.  I think I'm happy enough to live with it though, just glad to be getting something!

The reflection has appeared before - do you remember my NGC4565 image last year there was similar streak?  The secondary edges are not blackened at all, so that would be a good starting point, a job for the summer rainy days.   I think it's one streak, but with dithering of 63 frames it has been smeared over a larger area. 

That's great Adam, i'm really glad it's working out for you. That M108 looks amazing btw. 

I do remember an image of yours from last year with a similar streak now that i think about it. Not a huge deal like you say, and hopefully the summer DIY job fixes it. Being as handy as you are, have you thought of bolting some thicker metal around the outside of the tube near to where the focuser is to strengthen it? I've seen some DIY jobs like this done before on smaller reflectors, and sure there's no better man for a DIY job than yourself! 😉

12 minutes ago, Xiga said:

That's great Adam, i'm really glad it's working out for you. That M108 looks amazing btw. 

I do remember an image of yours from last year with a similar streak now that i think about it. Not a huge deal like you say, and hopefully the summer DIY job fixes it. Being as handy as you are, have you thought of bolting some thicker metal around the outside of the tube near to where the focuser is to strengthen it? I've seen some DIY jobs like this done before on smaller reflectors, and sure there's no better man for a DIY job than yourself! 😉

I’ll look into it 🤩🤩

• Haha 1
On 11/04/2021 at 23:05, tooth_dr said:

Thanks :D I follow the routine that you showed me for processing colour data in APP, and I have to say it's fantastic.  Gone are my yellow images, and finally I have something that is vibrant - those blues and purples just pop out!  

Care to share?

My colour data always looks flat and forced.

13 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Care to share?

My colour data always looks flat and forced.

Will do. It’s based entirely on AstroPixel Processor, nothing fancy just working through tab 9