Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from 'New to astronomy'

Adele Pattie

Hello everyone, having just started to dabble in this new interest I'm hoping for some advice please on recommended lightweight and easy to transport (either in its own rucksack or backpack) telescopes.

Thank you, Adele

Welcome fellow newbie.

All I can advise is to think about the following...what do you want to see? lunar, planetary and deep sky objects may require different levels of equipment. As well as the scope, you also need to think about the tripod and mount. A basic scope on an unstable mount and wobbly tripod will put you off. The same scope on a better mount will be better than an expensive scope on a cheap mount.

Try reading “Turn Left at Orion” for some pointers on what you can see with which equipment. I’m definitely no expert but that would be a good place to start.

I'm pretty new to this as well and I reckon the best thing to do as mentioned above is have a look into what kind of astro stuff you want to get into then just consume as much information you can do via books, youtube and articles before you buy anything. That's what I did, and like your self I wanted a portable set up for now as I'm always out and about being in different places for a few months at a time so to me that was important. As anyone here will tell you its a very expense hobby but you can spend as little or as much as you want on gear but you can always upgrade and also depends on what you can afford at the time as well (that's a big one). I guess its kinda of a double edge sword being weather permitting as you always want to upgrade bits and pieces but if there's going to be no clear Skys for a couple of weeks it gives you a bit of extra time to look for deals etc but then also you can't do what you're excited to do and that's have a look upwards.

Hi Adele, welcome to SGL.  Regarding lightweight for a backpack, don't discount a good pair of binoculars.  If you are happy to use resources such as the book Turn Left at Orion to find targets then it may be a good starting point.  Enjoy.

Welcome. Hope you have lots of fun on the ‘journey’ or learning curve. It should be fun and not desperately earnest! 🙂

Perhaps take a look at the beginners scope section on the FLO, forum sponsors, website. Just click on this site’s heading.

• Thanks 1

HI Adele welcome from a fellow Nottinghamian, binoculars are a good starting point 7x50,10x50 also useful for daytime use

There are good local astronomy clubs in the area and if they are not to far away these are a great source of information and you would be made very welcome.

enjoy this great pastime

What depends on your budget and what features you want.

For transport via rucksack or similar it would point towards a refractor and relatively small.

Small refractor on a manual mount say £200 area, little more perhaps. Scope would be an achro. Around the 80mm aperture. Better then achro is ED and something along the lines of the William Optics 61mm but the scope is around the £400 mark I think. Only think, not sure. Costs rise rapidly.  two or three eyepieces say another £120 more or less.

Now a goto mount would be along the lines of the Skywatcher Az GTi, and they are at the £300 mark, and you would need a small lithium battery to power it. The lithium could likely be recharged from a car outlet, but check. The Az GTi is wifi operated so an Android phone is required. Or at least best.

Could get the manual achro then add the goto mount later, spread the cost. A goto is useful and when setup and on a target it has the convenience of tracking the target. Which although overlooked is very useful.

An achro, any refractor, would also allow the addition of a solar filter for warmer days and solar observing.

Edited by PEMS

On 11/04/2021 at 15:56, Adele Pattie said:

Hello everyone, having just started to dabble in this new interest I'm hoping for some advice please on recommended lightweight and easy to transport (either in its own rucksack or backpack) telescopes.

Thank you, Adele

Hi & welcome

the https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/19-getting-started-general-help-and-advice/ forum is a great place to start.

PS we don’t bite…… too hard :)

• 1 month later...