SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asiair Pro power cable question

Hi All,

So lately, I've been planning to build a little powerhub for myself. Nothing fancy, just like 3x12V DC output, and 2 adjustable RCA for the dew heaters.

However I came across something: not on Earth I can find a 2.1x5.5 DC Jack plug, that is rated above 5A.
Now, I wonder: I don't know, how much exactly the Asiair Pro draws, when the below things are plugged into it:
- Main camera, Guide Cam, EFW and EAF via USB
- Main camera cooling via 12V DC.

I'm pretty sure this won't make a load of 6 amps, but obviously the AAP itself uses some for just...running basically.
Any suggestions, solutions?
I wanted to get the Lynx jack-to-jack cables, I love Lynx cables from FLO, but they are only rated at 4A, so I was thinking building my own - but I'm afraid what happens if I can't build/get one, that could provide 6A if ever needed.

How do you power your AAP, what is the full load on it you ever got?

Thanks all, stay safe and clear skies!
Balazs

I use the recommended PSU which is 12V, 5A bought from FLO.

I’ve not measured power usage yet, but everything runs fine - cooled OSC, guide camera, EAF, and my AVX mount.

I expect that my filter wheel would still be within the capacity of this PSU.

My larger mounts would be powered separately.

I have not yet had a dew heater attached yet, but yesterday received the Lynx 2.1x5.5 -> RCA adapter cable so will be putting that on today.

8 hours ago, balimester said:

How do you power your AAP, what is the full load on it you ever got?

I use an iOptron CEM25-EC, ZWO ASI1600MC, EAF, EFW, ASIair Pro + Hitec Astro Dew Controller with a single dew strap on my RedCat.

With the mount slewing and camera on and cooling this is the current being drawn from my 12V 200W switched mode PSU (set to 12.5V output):

IMG_1621.thumb.jpg.2b71af521d17ebca942e8f4f36fe70f7.jpg

I don't use the power outputs on the ASIair Pro. I use a 4 way fan-tail with a single 12V supply cable from the psu (ASIair, EAF, 1600, mount). The dew strap power cable is separate. I don't use a guide camera but the extra load if I had one would be insignificant.

I can't see how I would ever get to anywhere close to 6 amps. I accept a bigger mount may draw more power but I still can't see reaching the limit.

I suggest you buy yourself a little power meter connected to the psu output so you can monitor what is going on in real time.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
New photo

• 1 month later...

I have my ASIAIR Pro connected to a Nevada 12v PSU, which provides up to 25 amps, it has an ammeter...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-psw-30-25-30a-switch-mode-power-supply.html

I use the PSU to provide power to the ASIAIR Pro and Mount (AZ-EQ6 GT Pro) separately...

With ASIAIR powering the following...

ASI1600mm Pro with cooling set to -20C

Two dew heaters from one 12v port (set at 100%) through the ZWO splitter cable

ASI120mm Mini

EAF

EFW

The ASIAIR draws 3 amps

With the mount slewing at maximum speed the whole setup draws 4.5 amps.

You could theoretically run everything through the ASIAIR Pro but that would be a bad idea in my opinion to make the unit work that hard...

I was running the rig (as above) through 2 separate Lynx Astro PSUs, each rated at 5 amps it worked great but I just wanted the reliability and voltage control from the Nevada Power Unit (regulated 13.8v)...

I also use Lynx Astro silicon cables...

Hope that helps

E9FDCAD4-5938-45CC-BFE0-3618D0671354.jpeg

Edited by Ollyb
  • Like 1