Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M82 1st Light with iOptron RC6

JemC

Hi all,

this image is my 1st light using my recently acquired iOptron Photron RC6 ,  never used  an RC  before,  anyway after quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which adapters were required in order to achieve focus with the Canon 600d  and then getting it balanced ( quite back end heavy with the extension tubes and camera on ) it was time to put myself to the test as well as the kit.

It ended up just being a short run . the set up consisted of :

EQ6 Pro pier mounted
iOptron RC6
Canon 600d (modified)
ASIAir Pro (for the wizardry stuff)
ASI 120mm Mini guide camera mounted to 9 x 50 finder scope

20 x 120 sec lights. or ( 40 minutes in old money )
Calibration files were also used ( not to good effect i might add )

Stacked in DSS with slight adjustments then transferred to Photo shop for final butchery, 
Levels and curves adjusted and cropped slightly.

Overall i'm quite happy with the outcome for such a short amount of data, 
Any feedback is welcome, or any tips to help me improve with this scope  🙂

so here it is 

M82
578636749_M82-1stlight.thumb.jpg.ecc1aa5c87d141d1c95bcb157426b00e.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice.

Stars are a bit odd shaped.

Some of it might be down to guiding (how good was it?) and some of it is probably down to collimation. Maybe look into getting it improved?

(I've found this to be useful technique when collimating: https://deepspaceplace.com/gso8rccollimate.php , mind you - you don't have to use Bahtinov mask, FWHM measurement also works)

4 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Stars are a bit odd shaped.

Some of it might be down to guiding (how good was it?) and some of it is probably down to collimation. Maybe look into getting it improved?

Guiding was not great, that's one thing i have not managed to get quite right with the ASIAir pro, it seems to have a mind of it's own , i don't think my focus was spot on either but i think a bahtinov mask would probably help with that, 
Collimation!! well that is the one thing that scares me with this type of scope and the fact that it is not something i have had much experience with, but it is something i am going to have to have a go at 🙁

I think i will address the other 2 issues before i touch collimation see what if any improvement they make, 

Regards

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

If you dont mind, I think your flats arent right, and appear to be overcorrecting, and havent removed all the dust bunnies.  

I don't mind at all, 

I had noticed that, i used the ASIAir Pro auto flat feature to take them, i think i will need to re-take them but not with the auto feature next time

Regards

1 minute ago, JemC said:

I don't mind at all, 

I had noticed that, i used the ASIAir Pro auto flat feature to take them, i think i will need to re-take them but not with the auto feature next time

Regards

Damn nice looking scope that RC6, if it a heavy for the size of it?

15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Damn nice looking scope that RC6, if it a heavy for the size of it?

It is a nice scope, it's very solidly built, it does have some weight to it but very easily handled, it is however very back heavy once the adapters  and camera are in place and needs to be placed quite forward in the saddle to achieve balance. maybe some kind of counter weight for the front of the tube would help ?