Narrowband

Baader Morpheus range - General chat

15 minutes ago, IB20 said:

It did surprise me with how big it was in the hand and it’s the smallest of the range so the others must be real grenades. The size of that ES17 😅, that’d probably break my mount. 

With most of these wide angle, long eye relief ranges, the shorter focal lengths are the longest in physical size.

Pentax XW's:

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/363546342/O1CN01ozUCxm1wigOhd2TPR_!!363546342.jpg_1080x1800Q50s50.jpg

With the ES 92 / 17mm (and the 12mm) it is not just the physical size - they are very heavy as well. I would not want to use an eyepiece heavier than the ES 92 / 17mm.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, badhex said:

Also, blast everyone on this thread and blast me for following it... every time I see a notification it reminds me that the 6.5mm and 4.5mm are calling out to me and my wallet! 😱😂

They are all in stock with FLO at the moment aswell. Sorry to mention that 😂

• Haha 1

First go of my Morpheus 17.5 last night. Took the kids out to see the Perseids but brought along a starblast 4.5. I had to change location due to cloud cover which meant going somewhere we shouldn’t have been so couldn’t bring a bigger scope incase we had to run away 😅 

I’ve got the 9 also but didn’t have time to use it.  I don’t have the experience to compare to ultra premium eye pieces but it really blew away my cheaper ones. Only had time to have a quick look at Jupiter (low magnification so looked like a pea) but probably slightly better than the plossls with MILES more eye relief and much wider field of view. Really easy to find and follow what you’re looking at. It’s almost like peering through a portal into space as you can move your head around looking into the “corners” of the field of view. 

Also had a quick look at m34 which was great. 

Looking forward to getting the 9 out for a test drive too in the 10” dob where I think theyll really come into there own. 

far superior build quality to anything else I have too which is nice. they feel premium. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sargares said:

First go of my Morpheus 17.5 last night. Took the kids out to see the Perseids but brought along a starblast 4.5. I had to change location due to cloud cover which meant going somewhere we shouldn’t have been so couldn’t bring a bigger scope incase we had to run away 😅 

I’ve got the 9 also but didn’t have time to use it.  I don’t have the experience to compare to ultra premium eye pieces but it really blew away my cheaper ones. Only had time to have a quick look at Jupiter (low magnification so looked like a pea) but probably slightly better than the plossls with MILES more eye relief and much wider field of view. Really easy to find and follow what you’re looking at. It’s almost like peering through a portal into space as you can move your head around looking into the “corners” of the field of view. 

Also had a quick look at m34 which was great. 

Looking forward to getting the 9 out for a test drive too in the 10” dob where I think theyll really come into there own. 

far superior build quality to anything else I have too which is nice. they feel premium. 

Glad you enjoyed your 1st views through the 17.5mm.

I find you're comment about them feeling premium quite interesting.  At what price point do EPs become premium? I understand that the TV range are a lot more expensive than the Morpheus,
And very likely perform better, I will never know 😂 but is it only when EP's are in the £300 area that they are considered premium?

Just interested to know what price points are considered low, medium and premium for EP's.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Glad you enjoyed your 1st views through the 17.5mm.

I find you're comment about them feeling premium quite interesting.  At what price point do EPs become premium? I understand that the TV range are a lot more expensive than the Morpheus,
And very likely perform better, I will never know 😂 but is it only when EP's are in the £300 area that they are considered premium?

Just interested to know what price points are considered low, medium and premium for EP's.

I don’t think there really is a price point at which they become premium. I’ve got an APM eyepiece that feels and looks cheaper than the baader but it certainly performs exceptionally well. 

for me the premium quality is more a reference to them being solid, appear to be made from good quality materials, and well thought out. Little touches like the rings to keep the EP from falling from the focuser. The little things. 

• Like 3

I agree with Gerry, premium should relate to optical performance, not price. I consider my set of BGOs to be premium but they were only around £50 or £60 I guess, can’t really recall.

Eyepieces like the APM XWA 20mm 100 degree aren’t so expensive but again, performance is up there with the best.

Televue eyepiece are just so expensive new in the U.K. now, but can be picked up cheaper on the used market if you are quick. I think they deserve their reputation; just as an example, my recently reacquired 31mm Nagler definitely edges the 30mm ES 82 degree I had before so justifies the price in my book.

• Like 4

In my opinion, labelling an eyepiece as premium is a bit meaningless.

If one evaluates an eyepiece as highly controlled regarding aberrations and distortion across the field of view down to F3, Televue wins hands down. They also offer the widest ranges on several criteria. Televue quality is also consistent over samples. Said this, I would not consider the eyecup of the Delos / delite lines as premium.

The optical quality of the Docter/ Noblex is not affected at f4, but shows AMD, which is not wanted by some users. 

The BCO 10mm I had was fine, but not special on axis at f6 and f7.4. Off-axis was so and so.. Bad sample? Maybe, but if so, then there are inconsistencies between samples, which suggests that the standard could be improved.

The Zeiss zoom I have is outstanding on axis, better than all the TV eyepieces I tried. It does show astigmatism off axis, and although this is acceptable to me at f6, I don't tolerate it at all at f4.

This Baader Morpheus could be called premium at f4.5-f5, but to my eye, it is clearly behind TV eps at F4.

At f10, many eyepieces are much more comparable..

In summary, to me there isn't a premium class. It depends on the telescope focal ratio and personal tastes too (e.g. regarding optical quality only - how much FOV correction is important to you).

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Ya but Louis- what about my ultra low premium 12.5mm Circle T that knocked my socks off viewing Jupiter last night in the 24" under very good seeing?😀

ps  shoulda had the TSA120 out to test go figure.

Now you're just making me jealous of your equipment and viewing conditions.  You could probably refer to your viewing conditions as ultra premium.  Part of the reason I want a retirement/vacation home in the Sacramento mountains of New Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, thinking about future additions to the collection. 

I may add the Morpheus 6.5 and 12.5 as that’ll give me magnifications around 200 and 100x which are gaps I have right now. The 6.5 would be the most powerful eyepiece in the stash. I think 203x is enough to get reasonably regularly use. (1200 focal length + 1.1x Barlow from coma corrector) 

How do those two fit into the set? I know the 9 and the 17.5 are a lot of peoples favourites. I’d be more inclined to go over budget at the 12.5 size IF that one is one of the weaker ones in the set as it’s a magnification that’s likely to get a lot more use. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

Now you're just making me jealous of your equipment and viewing conditions.  You could probably refer to your viewing conditions as ultra premium.  Part of the reason I want a retirement/vacation home in the Sacramento mountains of New Mexico.

That location in Sacramento looks beautiful. Not a mobile/cell phone antenna in sight! Out in the middle of nowhere, Just a stunning clear sky and fresh air in your lungs!

I do admire the diversity and beauty of the US. No wonder only a small percentage of the US population have travelled abroad when you have such amazing locations to visit.

31 minutes ago, Sargares said:

The other option is a 12mm Delos + Barlow. Which I  wouldn’t consider as barlows are a pain but it’ll spend most of its time without the Barlow on anyway.  

How about the 12.5 morph combined with the Baader barlow. It's fairly cheap at around £40 so not to bad an investment particularly if its only getting minium use. I have and have only used it a handful of times..

46 minutes ago, Sargares said:

So, thinking about future additions to the collection

A bunch of us have eyepieces of different styles and brands. There is a reason. Picking certain ones for certain things help maximize the views. Lots of experienced info in this thread to help you choose.

An example could be picking one hyperwide for low power views like the APM 20mm 100. For high power planetary views Delos/Pentax XW, Delites and possibly Morphs could be another. Keeping an open, non brand specific mind can help IMHO.

Of course I like my cheap, used Circle T orthos for many things lol!