Narrowband

Which camera should i use to capture the Markarian's Chain Galaxies'

Taff

Hi' One night i would like to capture the Markarian's Galaxies though the scope. I have a unmodified Canon DSLR Camera, and a Modified Canon DSLR Camera. What i like to know which is the best camera to capture the Galaxies Thanks. Mark

Whichever camera gives you the most appropriate resolution and field of view to get it all in.  What scope are you using? There is no advantage to using a modified DSLR (assuming it is modified for Ha sensitivity) with that particular target.

• Like 1

Are they same model or different one?

What scope will you be using?

Modification of IR filter in camera is not going to be very beneficial for broad band targets like galaxies - only minor benefit and depending on pixel size and sensitivity and other factors - unmodified might be more suited.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Taff said:

Hi' My scope is a 12'' F 4.9 Reflector. Mark

That is very odd choice of scope to be imaging Markarian's Chain.

Are your cameras full frame or APS-C?

With APS-C - you'll get only a portion of the chain:

image.png.58cca6e56c2257b7ee4e78a4e7bbcceb.png

but you can always go for the mosaic - you'll probably need 16 panels (4x4) to frame the target nicely.

Aim for 1.2-1.4"/px resolution - depending on your camera - that might mean super pixel debayer and possibly subsequent binning.

1 minute ago, Taff said:

Thanks two you both for your reply.My cameras' are APS.  Mark

Well, can you specify exact models - both modified and unmodified one? - that way we could have a shot at answering original question - which one would be a better choice for galaxy imaging in general - and for this image in particular

1 hour ago, Taff said:

My modified is a Canon 300D, and the unmodified Canon cameras' is a 500D, and a 70D. Mark

Really no much of a contest.

70D has almost double quantum efficiency compared to 300D. 500D has somewhere in between.

26% vs 38% vs 48% (300D, 500D and 70D)

70D has the smallest pixels of the lot - so you'll need to bin your data. Since it has 4.1µm pixel size, I would recommend that you do the following:

stack image normally at full resolution and once you are done stacking, while data is still linear - bin x3 in software before you begin processing it further.

19 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Really no much of a contest.

70D has almost double quantum efficiency compared to 300D. 500D has somewhere in between.

26% vs 38% vs 48% (300D, 500D and 70D)

70D has the smallest pixels of the lot - so you'll need to bin your data. Since it has 4.1µm pixel size, I would recommend that you do the following:

stack image normally at full resolution and once you are done stacking, while data is still linear - bin x3 in software before you begin processing it further.

Sorry to hijack a little but do you have any recommendations for software to bin stacked DSLR data?

2 minutes ago, smashing said:

Sorry to hijack a little but do you have any recommendations for software to bin stacked DSLR data?

I regularly use ImageJ for that purpose as long as you export the data as 32bit fits (it is free and open source). I think some other free software may also have it - like Iris (and now looking at Siril - there is discussion if they should implement it???).

As far as I know - PI has it under integer resample (choose average method).

• Thanks 1

Thanks' Everyone for your advice to help me. After when i have finished i stack the images' with DSS. Then i finish off on Photoshop. I have heard about Iris and Siril but never tried them both. Mark