SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aurora 29th March 2006

Naz

As promised here are couple of photos of last nights display, was fairly low level and had calmed down by 23.30hrs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Each image exposure was 30sec f3.5 fl18mm (Nikon 18 / 70mm zoom)

Had a little play with colour temp / hue to try and bring out the details. Images were shot in RAW, and processed in Capture One, then resized in PSP.

naz

Thanks for the comments folks

Light pollution! don't believe it Caz, To the left hand side of the photos is a village with sodium lights, (look at my previous posts, Merry Dancers,) I processed them out in these photos.

With no cloud, I get pretty good clarity above me, to the SE, behind a hill is Kirkwall, which causes problems in that direction, to the south I have Scapa Oil terminal and to the west Stromness, both shielded by a ridge.

My worst pollution is coming up, last night it was gone 10 o'clock before the sky was dark enough, and by 5 in the morning it's starting to get light again.

Naz :lol:

Thanks again for your comments, actually, visually it was quite poor, with just the faintest hint anything was happening, so just banged camera on tripod, set the ISO to 800, 30sec @ f3.5 and keep on shooting!

naz :lol:

Nice shots! When I've gone camping up in Central Ontario, I manage to see one every couple of years. I would think you could see them from anywhere in England that you get dark skies. We rarely see them in Niagara, mostly due to LP, but we do get some faint ones from time to time.

Archived