SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron firmware upgrade

Hi, just joined and would welcome some help if anyone can  

I need to do a firmware upgrade on my Celestron Astra fi 102.   I’ve downloaded the Celestron  File Manager to my iMac and found I need Java to run it. I’ve installed Java but still can not open the CFM.jar file.  I know Apple doesn’t like Java, but is there a way to get this CFM to run ?  My iMac is running on Catalina. 

Hi Michael.  The kit is brand new, and I can connect to the mount wirelessly but I am unable to control it from the Skyportal app on my iPhone, as the movement arrows do not respond.  The retailer has suggested I do a firmware upgrade and 'that should fix it'.  Problem is, can't get the CFM.jar to run on my iMac.  I just get messages saying it could not be launched.  I have up to date Java installed, and have over-ridden the Mac OS security block on the CFM.jar file but still no joy.  I am not a programmer so not great at fiddling around with this sort of stuff, so wondering if there is a quick and easy fix !  Meantime it's all under warranty of course and I could just send it back, but I spent a lot of time what scope to get and would really like to get it to work as intended.

Just googled the firmware and it's version 7.17.00310  which was released a year ago in April-2020 and it was to fix a bug with a particular camera.  The previous version was in July 2019.  - 

Synta (Celestron) provide their own CFM uploader for updating firmware   available here   for updating firmware on mounts and handsets, so presume this is what you have tried to install the update ? 

To be honest, there is a risk when performing updates and unless there is a particular problem then often it's best to leave things as they are.  But seeing you have an issue it may be worth doing on the advice of the retailer.  However googling the issue you will see you are not alone - here's one example - so maybe worth doing some more research before attempting the update

Thanks Malcolm.  I will do some more research before attempting anything drastic.  Having said that, the problem with running the firmware manager looks more likely to be with my iMac than with the Celestron software, so I might just find a Windows machine and do it from there - but not in haste !  thanks for the support.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue with CFM on my MacBook Pro. I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled Java many times last night with various changes, like turning off my firewall and security software. There's no error message in the Java Console for me to see what a potential problem could be. I even entered some code in Terminal to make sure some old Java files were erased. I just can't figure it out.

I'm so frustrated after hours of troubleshooting. This is my first major telescope, and I waited so long for it to arrive due to whatever supply issue Celestron is having. The excitement has turned into frustration and occasional anger. I submitted a help ticket to Celestron. Hope the contact me soon, but from what I read from others, I'm not going to get my hopes up. If anyone has found a fix for this, I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

Hi Chadonna and welcome aboard SGL.

Can't help on the Mac front unfortunately. Do you have any friends with a windows box that can help you out? I've successfully updated my Celestron mount using Windows (with a few frustrations).

Whereabouts are you based? If you're in the North East I'm happy to help you.