SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My M51 (Everyone has to have one!)

mackiedlm

Another from the easter week-end.

This is the old 8" LX200 on its wedge again, EOS700D, 53 X 180s ISO800.

Strangely my go to stacker APP made a hash of this for some reason that I dont understand, so I tried stacking in PI using the WBPP script and it did a great job. Post processing also in PI

C&C welcome.

M51_StackedPI_Final_R2.thumb.png.7b7da36becdd5f50bf993f90933ed785.png

• Like 34

Your M51 looks great. Nice and sharp details in the spiral arms with lovely colour. Nice bit of dusty stuff too.

Your stars appear to have dual colours. Not sure what the cause of this is?

Gerr.

48 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Your M51 looks great. Nice and sharp details in the spiral arms with lovely colour. Nice bit of dusty stuff too.

Your stars appear to have dual colours. Not sure what the cause of this is?

Gerr.

Thanks for that Gerr,

The dual colour stars are  (I believe) part of the coma effect of this 20 year old SCT -(the old model before before the Advanced Coma Free ACF was invented) and a Meade 0.63 FR which is known to be pretty poor at the FF part.  Unfortunately there is not much I can do about it and just need to live with it. Which, when I can get the main subject as well as above I'm OK with - until I get around to (can affort) some more, newer FL.

I usually explain in my posts that there is still some coma after I have cropped out the worst but was getting bored doing that so did not mention it this time.🥴

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Very nice M51, you had a very fruitful weekend.

Thanks Richard - yes it was a great week-end and I had both rigs out for the three nights. . First time I've had 3 nights in a row since I started imaging. Still got 3 short fl images to processBut I saw your Iris Mosaic was spread over some of that time too so equally nice down your way I think.