Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81

AbsolutelyN

Finally the wind died down enough to try the 250PDS last night. It now has an aperture mask installed just above the mirror to help improve flare around stars caused by mirror clips. Many thanks to @tooth_dr for all his amazing help on that. 

96x 1min Lum
59x 1min Red
57x 1min Green
52x 1min Blue

4.4 hours. Unfortunately about 2 hours of data lost to a slight breeze. 

1600mm pro

M81-250PS.thumb.jpg.66f00fef4bce16031ad2590b353fab3c.jpg

Example star before aperture mask shows significant improvements.

image.png.f396fa5d59cf4ae525fd0442c10e9f98.png

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Stunning Tristan.  Great processing too, Holmberg IX very clear with some detail.

What a difference in the star flare.

Thanks Lee. Yes really pleased with the reduction in flare, makes a big difference. Surprised Skywatcher don't add something like that to the scope or sell some kind of accessory add on, the PDS is after all for imaging.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Wonderful image and is it cropped at all? I know I have a much smaller fl scope but wow yours is huge 🤣

Thanks. Yes it's a crop but M81 still pretty large in frame of the 1600 sensor. The scope is working at 1050mm focal length. Too big for the mount really hence can only use it on very still nights as slightest breeze renders it useless. 

image.png.b1e2bde1366d2c01e6da6e606fa309c2.png

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig a said:

Yes a big difference in the stars from the mask, lovely image, can you elaborate on the aperture mask I wouldn’t mind making one for my Quattro 10cf during summer ready for autumn 

Its one I drew up and printed for Tristan last week. Tristan gave me the measurements and broke it down into four connecting pieces.

250PDS MIRROR RING 2 v3.jpg

250PDS MIRROR RING v3.jpg

IMG_0736.jpeg

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Its one I drew up and printed for Tristan last week. Tristan gave me the measurements and broke it down into four connecting pieces.

IMG_0736.jpeg

This works brilliantly, can't thank you enough. It's just stuck on with Velcro. Might just need to centre it better as some stars at edge look to have a slightly flat top but very very minor issue compared to the original flare.  

image.png.f7be34246886827a900b453d13d702d5.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

IMG_0736.jpeg

Impressive, something I will look at, will have to make mine by hand, would it affect the f ratio of a newt?

That's a very nice M81 indeed! I especially like the colours, they look absolutely spot on. Impressive work for just ~90 mins of Lum. Did you create a Super Lum from all 4.4 hrs of subs? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xiga said:

That's a very nice M81 indeed! I especially like the colours, they look absolutely spot on. Impressive work for just ~90 mins of Lum. Did you create a Super Lum from all 4.4 hrs of subs? 

Thanks, no I usually do that but this is just a straight stack per channel, lum is just the L filters 96 mins