Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Imaging in Ca-K line 6th April 2021

Nigella Bryant

Your calcium filter captures the proms very well, this is a sign you were shipped a very  good filter!

In comparison to my filter;  you should never consider selling it; as your center wavelength is  very close to the core line.   

1015370688_prom002.jpg.99521f1d29a5fbb43b2a2d5fe44cef70.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kitsunegari said:

Your calcium filter captures the proms very well, this is a sign you were shipped a very  good filter!

In comparison to my filter;  you should never consider selling it; as your center wavelength is  very close to the core line.   

Thanks, that's really good to know. I thought it was the first time I used it. To be honest I didn't know there was an issue with cak filters the same as in ha in the quality. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment

21 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks, that's really good to know. I thought it was the first time I used it. To be honest I didn't know there was an issue with cak filters the same as in ha in the quality. 

I would say that 70% of calcium filter owners cannot catch a prominence with a useable brightness, and 98% cannot catch the spicule layer.   Alot of people talk about bandwidth and spectrometers / double stacking  etc;  but the images captured are the real measurement tool.   No spicule layer,  = way off band or very wide band.

Lunt filters are typically centered at 393.4nm;  and the prominences really only pop out at 393.38nm.       The K-line core is 393.37nm,        and your filter is very close to the desired performance.

teset.gif.0dfec3cd067ce5f15a67fdf044277b02.gif  Calcium.     Vs    H-alphaTosi-Philippe-23-nov_1606141209_lg.jpg.a1471225d108b4d9e9c8759dc3a6bb16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kitsunegari said:

I would say that 70% of calcium filter owners cannot catch a prominence with a useable brightness, and 98% cannot catch the spicule layer.   Alot of people talk about bandwidth and spectrometers / double stacking  etc;  but the images captured are the real measurement tool.   No spicule layer,  = way off band or very wide band.

Lunt filters are typically centered at 393.4nm;  and the prominences really only pop out at 393.38nm.       The K-line core is 393.37nm,        and your filter is very close to the desired performance.

teset.gif.0dfec3cd067ce5f15a67fdf044277b02.gif  Calcium.     Vs    H-alphaTosi-Philippe-23-nov_1606141209_lg.jpg.a1471225d108b4d9e9c8759dc3a6bb16.jpg

Thanks, appreciated. Nice to know.

Nice Ca-K images Nigella, having had lots of hassle with Quark Chromo filters I've resisted the urge to invest in any of the others that they make.

Too much cloud, wind , snow here today.

Dave

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nice Ca-K images Nigella, having had lots of hassle with Quark Chromo filters I've resisted the urge to invest in any of the others that they make.

Too much cloud, wind , snow here today.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I was nervous about buying it but first light showed me I was lucky. I've been very fortunate with my solar equipment.