Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200p Restoration Project

PeterStudz

That’s it… it’s done! Well as good as. Is a Dob ever finished? I might just make and add an EQ platform too.

I’ve got so much help and advise via this forum. Spend ages searching for info. It would have been so much harder without this.

B61C7E0E-4672-4769-A870-B0964BC38A9B.jpeg

E9CDED46-1F2A-48B9-B000-04F7B99C0E94.jpeg

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

What a cracking job, Peter! I wish I had a quarter of your DIY skills....

Thanks for that. I actually don’t like DIY, eg putting up shelves isn’t for me. But when it’s a toy it’s a different matter! I use to make model aircraft so it probably comes from there.

Incidentally, some of the screws and brackets etc came from my late fathers shed. It’s one reason I didn’t fill and paint over the screws on the rocker box. They are my fathers old screws. It’s nice to be reminded that there’s something of him in there!

Absolutely right! My father was also great at making and repairing virtually anything. Needless to say, I didn't inherit any of his skills! I still do make model planes and ships, but I'm useless with wood or metal. Having the right tools helps too.

• Like 1

Well done on what looks like a 'Proper Job' Peter. 

Looking at the image of the old primary, it almost looks like impact chips from something?

I love the RDF/RACI bracket!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

That’s it… it’s done! Well as good as. Is a Dob ever finished? I might just make and add an EQ platform too.

I’ve got so much help and advise via this forum. Spend ages searching for info. It would have been so much harder without this.

B61C7E0E-4672-4769-A870-B0964BC38A9B.jpeg

E9CDED46-1F2A-48B9-B000-04F7B99C0E94.jpeg

Where did you get that chair from please or if I was looking for one what would I look for please.

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Well done on what looks like a 'Proper Job' Peter. 

Looking at the image of the old primary, it almost looks like impact chips from something?

I love the RDF/RACI bracket!

It does look more like impact chips rather than corrosion. Although apart from pictures I haven’t seen corrosion on a mirror. There are 6 “chips” in total. All on one side of the mirror. Not sure if something could bounce that many times if dropped. Although an Allen key is obviously bent at right angles so it’s possible that one impact could create two marks.

No marks that I can see on the secondary, although when I got it the secondary it was way done the centre bolt towards the primary, so it’s been fiddled with.

15 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Where did you get that chair from please or if I was looking for one what would I look for please.

Search for “artists screw stool”, “painters screw stool”, or “adjustable artists stool”. I got mine secondhand locally for £10 off Gumtree. And it’s in very good condition. I don’t think that the wooden ones are made anyone. I really like it. With the 200p I can quickly adjust it from near horizontal to zenith with some to spare. It also looks good as indoor furniture. In fact when indoors my daughter uses it for painting and drawing at her easel.

Keep a look out on places like Gumtree and eBay. I just had a look and there’s one on eBay for £25. Although there’s slight damage (you’re not going to notice that) and it’s collection only from Gravesend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Wood-Artists-Stool-Screw-Swivel-Adjustable-Height-3-Legs-Working-Condition-/275227237637?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Search for “artists screw stool”, “painters screw stool”, or “adjustable artists stool”. I got mine secondhand locally for £10 off Gumtree. And it’s in very good condition. I don’t think that the wooden ones are made anyone. I really like it. With the 200p I can quickly adjust it from near horizontal to zenith with some to spare. It also looks good as indoor furniture. In fact when indoors my daughter uses it for painting and drawing at her easel.

Keep a look out on places like Gumtree and eBay. I just had a look and there’s one on eBay for £25. Although there’s slight damage (you’re not going to notice that) and it’s collection only from Gravesend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Wood-Artists-Stool-Screw-Swivel-Adjustable-Height-3-Legs-Working-Condition-/275227237637?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

These were originally a stool available from Ikea, called "Ringo". Not available any more - but I have one in the garage. I used to use it as a stand for a big indoor plant.

I might resurrect it as an observing stool, since my daughter appears to have 'inherited' my proper drum stool 🙄

12 minutes ago, Pixies said:

These were originally a stool available from Ikea, called "Ringo". Not available any more - but I have one in the garage. I used to use it as a stand for a big indoor plant.

I might resurrect it as an observing stool, since my daughter appears to have 'inherited' my proper drum stool 🙄

I just had another look and was going to say the same thing. It’s criminal not to use it as an observing stool :) There’s one on Gumtree here…

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ikea-swivel-height-adjustable-wooden-stool/1425995858?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=email