Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tonight is the night - Transparent skies over the uk tonight and no moon

mdstuart

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks Mark. There still seems to be high cloud on the satellite but hopefully that will clear.

I will put the 12” dob out and try to see some galaxies, starting with M65 and 66. If I can’t see those I shall sulk, and likely go to bed 🤣🤣🤣

Well. I did just about manage to see M65 and 66, but it was a fairly uninspiring experience due to the LP.  I had a bit of a trawl about usual suspects, and enjoyed M3 but have called it a night as I’ve got an early start.

Enjoy those of you out there with clear skies! 👍

• Like 1

I have the ODK 12 running a long sequence on M106, 4 hours Blue, and 2 hours H-alpha, though I expect the last few subs to be affected by dawn light. The TS Apo is running 4 1/2 hours RGB (3 x 90 min) on the Leo Triplet which will be getting low by the time the sequence ends.

I'm having a cup of something warm before going out again.

So far I've concentrated on the upper forequarters of Leo and picked up 13 galaxies of which 8 are new spots, or at least I've not seen them for a long time.

I seem to be able to get the ones with a surface brightness of around magnitude 13 or brighter tonight. That's around 1 magnitude better than the last couple of nights I've been out so the transparency is better tonight.

I have managed to see all the Leo Quad / Hickson 44 group but NGC 3187 was right at the limit this evening and I needed to use 200x plus magnification to confirm it.

I'll probably just concentrate on the Leo galaxies in this session and leave Virgo / Coma B for another session. It's a bit parky out there !

• Like 2

Not sure about the transparency here, and TBH the sky did have that milky blue look to it earlier. When I went out a bit earlier I could see M44, but it was a struggle, normally it's stand-out obvious, and just now I've ben out and there's no trace of the stars of Coma, again normally pretty obvious.

Still imaging but I think I'll turn in and leave the automation to it.

I'm inside warming up and because some high clouds rolled in. I'll give it 30 minutes and if it's not cleared, call it a night.

Saw some new galaxies tonight. In Canes Venatici: M63 (Sunflower), NGC 5005 and NGC 5033. Some of the old faves too.

• Like 2

High cloud from the NE is rolling in now.  Saw the Nova Cass, pleased about that. Sadly lot of light pollution from a new container park is intruding in a lot of the  DSO stuff.  Aiming for a local darker locale towards the end of the week when it is predicted clear again.

Hope others have a good night.

John

• Like 2

I've just packed in now but it's still pretty clear outside.

The transparency was good tonight but I think it could be better still. Not complaining though. 28 Leo galaxies plus 13 down (or up) the Markarian's Chain plus others unidentified in the Virgo / Coma B boundary puts a smile on my face even though it's a little chilly out there :smiley:

• Like 5

I have also just come in after a long relaxing session under the stars. Lovely to see Hercules and M13 and Lyra rising again, Summer is coming.

I managed to see all my targets tonight so my transparency was good.

So encouraged to read everyone's posts about their observing and imaging this evening. 

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff chaps. The transparency wasn’t great here, I could barely see Iota Leonis at Mag 4.0 with the naked eye, needed averted vision, so no wonder I was struggling with M65 and 66 :(. that’s my best direction too.

• Like 1

The sky was good in Oxford, I could see all the stars of the Ursa Minor and managed to spot M65 and M66 with 20x80 binoculars while the camera was clicking away at the telescope. I got some nice images of M51, always wanted to have my own picture of it. After that I tried visually for the 'hamburger' NGC 3628 and got a hint with averted vision :) So a good night here too!

Edited by Nik271
corrected the NGC number
  • Like 3