Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 450D Hypermod

George

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2913930/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

This is taking modified DSLR's to the extreme :( in the yahoo DSLRmod group he is comparing the resulting images favorably with his QHY8.

Think I'll have grow a certain bit of my body before I attempt this mod :laughing2:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much discussion goes on between camera producers. How miffed would QHY8 producers be with a custom produced DSLR with Peltier Cooling at a price that would be a lot cheaper than the former. We have been amazed at the performances of modded Canons. How much they improve with the addition of cooling.

Maybe I'm dreaming, and the DSLR price would ascend into the region of the Q**8. should the makers produce

them

Ron.

About £1480, A QHY8 Is cheaper then. :oops:

By nearly £300 too.... Have to say that modding a camera to that extent is all very clever but tbh it's just a technical exercise isn't it? Just because it can be done, it doesn't mean it should be done. Why not just buy a 'proper' astro imaging camera and be done with it?

Tony..

Whats the point?

A 450D is very low noise anyway. Add this to the fact that it is a 12bit camera that will soon reach its useful exposure limit, you would really gain nothing from taking very long exposures. Much better to take more shorter ones.

There is a huge difference between the colour response of stars especially with a 16bit cam like the qhy8. A dslr will just show them as white, whereas they may be many shades of blue, gold, red, even greenish. For me, the massive amount of new colour information has been the biggest improvement of using a 16bit camera over a dslr.

My 350D looked like that pic once :(

Hyper modding is about limited budget :laughing2:

We are talking sub £50 in materials to achieve this goal, so if we take for instance a new 1000D body and materials todo the mod we are talking less than £400 that would put a DSLR up amongst the mid range one shot colour CCD"s......not to be sniffed at and completely doable if you are brave enough.

Remember it was not long ago when it was considered foolhardy and reckless to mod a £50 webcam, 5 years later its just moved up a peg :( and if anything its far easier than cutting tracks on circuit boards and soldering pins you cannot see without magnification.

Will I be brave enough.......lets see :laughing2: :laughing2:

Well I was a bit naive thinking a dslr modified as an astro cam including cooling, would come in at a price attractive to those who don't have big bucks to spare.

The camera would need to be produced, only if there was a guaranteed market, and in sufficient numbers to keep the price competitive. With hindsight, it does not appear to be a sensible idea.

Looks like it's only for the pimpers then. Looks far too deep for me, in fact I doubt if I will even remove the IR Block. I shall see what can be done with it as it is. :(

Ron.

Ron I wouldn't get too downhearted because some industrious person will see there's a market for this mod in the UK at a realistic price. Everything stateside is just priced stupidly because our American cousins love being ripped off, £1482 for a moddied DSLR as already pointed out would make it more expensive than a dedicated one shot colour.

I'm sure Peter (phychobilly) is already tapping figures into a calculator as we speak :(

I quite like the packaging job that canon did on the components and havent got the skies to try and wring much more performance out of the cameras above and beyond the filter rtemoval or replacements that I have done already...

If you have to get many parts made and can't do them yourself then its suprising how quickly these DIY projects can become totally un-economic... its an interesting "technical" challenge but i dont't think I'll be going to that level... no calculator required... :(

Billy...

i have seen the future of Camera's and an old cooled CMOS is not the way forward.

don't get me wrong, what that guy has done is amazing and is something i would love to do, but am sorry to say but the CCD's days in astronomy are numbered.

what is being build and tested at the moment is going to make CCD's look like film, they are going to get smart and have no limit, i can't wait

i have seen the future of Camera's and an old cooled CMOS is not the way forward.

don't get me wrong, what that guy has done is amazing and is something i would love to do, but am sorry to say but the CCD's days in astronomy are numbered.

what is being build and tested at the moment is going to make CCD's look like film, they are going to get smart and have no limit, i can't wait

And cost an arm and a leg no doubt. :mrgreen:

CMOS is the way forward...the stuff they are working on now!

think....each pixel can be clocked independantly, meaning each pixel can expose for a diferent length of time and then be read out.

short exposures around the stars, long exposures round the galaxies.

unlimited dynamic range.

this would be awesome

gimme 3 years....

CMOS is the way forward...the stuff they are working on now!

think....each pixel can be clocked independantly, meaning each pixel can expose for a diferent length of time and then be read out.

short exposures around the stars, long exposures round the galaxies.

unlimited dynamic range.

this would be awesome

gimme 3 years....

mmmm that sounds interesting - I've got 3 years to save up!

Archived