Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 from Bortle 5 sky :)

I'm very pleased to report that I finally managed to see the Pinwheel galaxy (M101) from my back garden which is marginally Bortle 5 (SQM 20.04).

I was using the Skymaster 20x80 binoculars sitting quietly while the telescope was busy taking images of the Nova. I had only seen M101 once before from a dark location and tried many times from home previously. It appeared as a very faint grey smudge. I knew exactly where to look otherwise I doubt I would have spotted it.

Here is my star hop. Follow the trail of four bright stars in the direction from Mizar to Alcor to reach a 'square with spokes'. The Pinwheel is on the opposite side of the square. If you have SQM 20 sky or better give it a try on a moonless night! 

Inkedstellarium-000_LI.thumb.jpg.1e159aaf3d9153213814a2eb732984d0.jpg

• Like 10

Nicely done! 

That's one I've tried a few times in the past and have seen under bottle 3/4 with 70mm - but like you said, only because I knew exactly where to look..  it's not an area I go to that often , mainly because my best viewing is east, west and south - but I must give it another go using that starhop and maybe a pair of 80mms...

Clear skies 

Mark

• Like 2

Nice. Your account reminded me that I thought I’d (first ever) seen M101 through bins as well, and I checked that indeed I had, on March 14th with my 12x50 Nikons, but I had a bit of an advantage! My sky that night was 21.94. I found it by knowing that m51 and m101 are roughly equally spaced each side of Alkaid, perpendicular to the “saucepan-handle”

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 2