Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are we really exiting this nightmare?

barkis

The weather has played a little part  from a  spirits raising  viewpoint,
but I just hope it isn't a false dawn. 
 I will be overjoyed when I see the possibility of another SGL Star Party hatching on the Forum pages.
Well, I can hope can't I ? 😀
Lucksall Again would be just fine.
Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 3

Hear, hear! It would be wonderful to see the star party back when the time is right and Sarah and I would love to attend if possible and to catch up with folks, and meet some more stargazers. Will there be the burger van again?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hear, hear! It would be wonderful to see the star party back when the time is right and Sarah and I would love to attend if possible and to catch up with folks, and meet some more stargazers. Will there be the burger van again?

Would be nice to return to "normal" last time I saw you and Sarah was at SGL SP so long ago I can't remember which one it was 😄

Dave

36 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Would be nice to return to "normal" last time I saw you and Sarah was at SGL SP so long ago I can't remember which one it was 😄

Dave

It's been a good few years!

I did cool on the astro for a bit, partly with solar minimum (having got very much into solar) and disappointment with a solar filter. I think you may have had a few issues with a solar filter yourself by sounds of things, but things are hopefully being sorted? And I got into another hobby, one that doesn't depend on the weather! (board gaming)

Sarah still loves astronomy as well and keeps saying how she'd love to go to another SGL star party.

I wonder how things have changed. Are Jaffa cakes still valid currency? Is John imaging now?

Edited by Luke

In response to the OP, I have reached the point where I feel nothing is guaranteed any more.  People say to me "We're going to do X in July" or somesuch and I can't help thinking "Really?  How can you be so sure?".

I really hope we're through the worst of it as it has messed up many peoples' lives so much, and closer to home it has messed up the lives of my children (as it has for many others in the same boat) in ways that are so deeply unfair and can't ever really be put right, merely given sufficient time to heal.

James

2 minutes ago, Andy ES said:

James

Hang in there mate things are going to get better 

I'm sure they will in the fullness of time.  Mentally it's been tough for me, but it's just one of those things.  For me it's those in their mid to late teens and early twenties that I feel so sorry for.  You can't "get back" the things that should have happened in those years, because the world doesn't stand still for a second at that age.

James

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luke said:

Sarah still loves astronomy as well and keeps saying how she'd love to go to another SGL star party.

I wonder how things have changed. Are Jaffa cakes still valid currency? Is John imaging now?

Been a while as the last two got cancelled and the one before that the River Wye was threatening to join us, Jaffa cakes are still required, hog roast and curry / quiz night are de rigueur.

Just got one of my Quarks back from Daystar again.

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm sure they will in the fullness of time.  Mentally it's been tough for me, but it's just one of those things.  For me it's those in their mid to late teens and early twenties that I feel so sorry for.  You can't "get back" the things that should have happened in those years, because the world doesn't stand still for a second at that age.

James

Those kids still have plenty of time to lose their virginity, wake up in a wheelie bin covered in sick and skint their parents...

The crying little sods complaining about free speech and being locked down. Most of whom will not contribute to any great degree except to breed more worker drones, consume goods and pay taxes if we're lucky.

It's us oldies with not much time and still much to do I feel for... The ones who have served their countries and/or communities, paid their way and begrudgingly but on the whole, quietly got on with it.

I feel better now. Roll on as many trips and star parties as possible!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

It's us oldies with not much time and still much to do I feel for...

Well, yes, but the older you get, the more there seems there is to do :)

James

• Like 1

The bolt on the Lockdown has been released, if only tentatively,  and  in the hope that the human element within this 
treat it with great care and respect , and thereby permit it to go forward and prosper.

There have been recent incidents  of a kind that will give many of us room for doubt, but we sincerely hope 
that  no more temptation is offered to this deadly Virus through foolhardy behaviour.

Practical Astronomy is an outdoor pusuit in the main, so we all wish the future  has a good outcome for all.
Enjoy the freedom everyone, and I'm looking forward  to that first Martian Copter Flight 👍.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 4