SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar reticule angle

Hi folks,

I’m setting up ready for PA and have a question about the position of my polar scope reticule.

The image below shows how my reticule orientation looks when my scope is in home position. To get my reticule perfectly vertical from 12 to 6 my scope needs shifted out of home position some considerable angle. Can this be fixed?

C749B307-B7DA-4887-8786-3FF8ADF3701D.jpeg

4AC6DB2E-C680-40B9-B811-EA1DDC62E449.jpeg

27611596-377A-498C-AEA5-8E396A5C1B82.jpeg

3A146D27-7D0E-4A10-A372-48F79F7CE6E3.jpeg

It can - but I don't think there is much point in doing so.

Part of polar alignment routine is to place 0 (or any other marker) at 12 o'clock position as a reference point. This is done by first centering Polaris at central cross and using only alt controls to move Polaris up to 12 o'clock position (mount needs to be level for this to work properly). You release RA clutch then and rotate your mount until 0, 3, 6 or 9 is at 12 o'clock indicated by Polaris. This number then becomes your reference and you need to place it on Hour angle of Polaris (which you should get from external source for date & time and location - or perhaps handset?) and after you polar align by placing Polaris back to reference point.

• Like 1

It is possible, but I found it very fiddly and hard to get exact.  The polar scope has to be unscrewed and then the three grub screws that hold the reticule slackened off and the reticule twisted round.  The problem is that the reticule is tiny and quite hard to see.  The polar scope then has to be re-aligned, of course. 

Better to go with Vlaiv's suggestion above?