SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

OVL Panaview 38mm review

A short review.  I'm used to Televue Ethos and Panoptic eyepieces, Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs, and also various less expensive options I've owned in the past.

I've tested the Panaview 38mm 70 degree on 115  F7 and 127 F7.5 triplet refractors, and 6 and 8" F12 Cassegrains at night. All showed sharp fields edge to edge, in focus. I'm very impressed. The daytime view in the fracs was also great, very sharp and clear, though not good around the edge of the Cassegrains - maybe too much aperture?

The top lens of the eyepiece is huge. Doesn't seem to cause problems much, as the twist up eyecup is very good. I found I could twist it up just a few mm and rest my cheek on it for perfect positioning in the fracs.

I have to say these are very good value at around £100, I'm really impressed. I would like to try the 32mm, although I must say the 70 degree field in that EP is not so impressive as you can get 82 degree ES or Naglers at that FL - but at many times the price.

I didn't test below F7 though. I'm sure someone else has...

IMG_20210329_130001.jpg

IMG_20210329_130021.jpg

IMG_20210329_130027.jpg

IMG_20210329_130049.jpg

• Like 2