Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starry night software

Hello guys. I recently bought a celestron powerseeker 50az telescope on second sale. I wanted to download the starry nights software which comes with the telescope. But the card which contains the code was not given to me. Is there anyway by which I could download it

Is it this one, looks like its $80 retail for the basic package here:

https://www.celestron.com/pages/celestron-starry-night-software

If it is just generic skymaps there are many free ones to be had on your phone / computer or some that are pretty good but not so expensive on iOS I use Skyview and Stellarium+ at present. I am sure others will be able to chime in with different platforms / options if that is what you are looking for :) 

Edited by wibblefish

2 hours ago, Sweet dreams said:

Hello guys. I recently bought a celestron powerseeker 50az telescope on second sale. I wanted to download the starry nights software which comes with the telescope. But the card which contains the code was not given to me. Is there anyway by which I could download it

I doubt Celestron would simply give you a new code number to download the software, especially without proof of purchase.. Stellarium Astronomy Software is free.

4 hours ago, skyhog said:

If its scope control, as previously mentioned, some adaquate free software out there stellarium is good. I like cartes du ciel personally. 

If you google Powerseeker 50AZ the scope is as basic as it comes....   The use of software as a control platform is pointless on this occasion.  I have a copy of the basic Starry Night program form around 1999 that came free on a cover disk of a computer magazine, which was just a standalone planetarium program without any mount control (with an upgrade path to this if required).  Naturally as this scope has no motorised drive then if the OP wants to learn the night sky by using a PC base planetarium application then there are plenty of free options.  Cartes du Ciel being the most common, Kstars, Stellarium and SkytechX to name a few  will be excellent alternatives

050234210393_PowerSeeker_50AZ_21039_1_57

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

If you google Powerseeker 50AZ the scope is as basic as it comes....   The use of software as a control platform is pointless on this occasion.  I have a copy of the basic Starry Night program form around 1999 that came free on a cover disk of a computer magazine, which was just a standalone planetarium program without any mount control (with an upgrade path to this if required).  Naturally as this scope has no motorised drive then if the OP wants to learn the night sky by using a PC base planetarium application then there are plenty of free options.  Cartes du Ciel being the most common, Kstars, Stellarium and SkytechX to name a few  will be excellent alternatives

050234210393_PowerSeeker_50AZ_21039_1_57

Ah right, thanks for clarifying that👍

I bought a beginner’s Celestron Newtonian 114 AZ 6 months ago and downloaded Starry Night  on to a laptop.

It’s a big program. I used it for a few minutes to look at the star layout for an evenings viewing. It seemed slow and the display was rather small. I abandoned it and went back to SkySafari on an iPad, which to me is easier to use and has an elegant display. Amazing value for just £4.

Last week I had another try with Starry Night and found that some of the extra features don’t work on my copy of the program. I decided not to bother getting it to work.

After reading the terms of purchase, I reckon Celestron is unlikely to give a duplicate code number to a second purchaser.

• 1 month later...