Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light of 13mm DeLite

IB20

Last year I purchased the whole set of BSTs in a relatively short time frame. Using them throughout the summer and autumn left the impression with me that the optimum use focal length eyepiece sweet spot for my 200p dob was usually the 15mm, sometimes the 12mm, for a number of targets with the exception of Mars. 

I’ve always wanted to try a TV eyepiece since starting the hobby and was particularly drawn to the DeLite range as I had read a lot about how they excelled in sharpness, definition and contrast as I find that more important than FoV. Luckily I came across a second hand 13mm DeLite in the SGL forum and decided to try it out, after all it was my favoured focal length.

Last night I finally got the opportunity to try it in my scope after a few weeks of ownership and many clouds. After several quick visits to M42 (exceptionally defined trapezium), collinder 89 and M35 both showing pin sharp star fields, it wasn’t until I started comparing eyepieces at NGC 2392 that I got a sense of my new eyepiece. The nebula showed a bright white point of central light radiating a faint green shell. I had never seen it before last night and it’s left a lasting impression. Barlowing it with a 2x TV barlow also resulted in an extremely crisp and clear image. In comparison to the 12 & 15mm BSTs the image appeared as a somewhat blurrier shell, reduced contrast and not as sharp a central point of light. I also compared my 10mm BCO and although a lot closer to the DeLite, didn’t match or best it, yet still a great result for what I already knew is a fantastic eyepiece. I went back to the DeLite to soak in some more views of the planetary nebula - it’s worth noting that the moon was rising at this point and it was quite bright!

I moved on to try for the Leo Triplet but just couldn’t cut through the brightness of the sky so tried for the double of Algieba. Again the TV lead the way, two perfect golden orbs clearly separated, a feat not always achieved in the BSTs and the BCO seemed to suffer from increased star glare compared to the TV.

I tried waiting for the moon to rise as have read that the DeLites are exceptional lunar viewers but it was another 90 minutes before it cleared the houses.

Although it’s early days and few targets so far I’ve been genuinely impressed with the 13mm DeLite. I’m very much looking forward to my next opportunity at the moon and some more DSOs, and even more excited by the prospect of Jupiter being in a more favourable altitude later in the year. 

Don’t get me wrong, the BSTs are wonderful upgrades for the money and we are talking margins here but I was surprised that it was a fairly noticeable margin!

Yes I know there are 2 x 18mm DeLites for sale in the for sale section, I think I want a 9mm though 😅.

Edited by IB20
  • Like 6

Great report :smiley:

The Tele Vue DeLite's seem to have gained a really excellent reputation from the feedback I've read on them, including your own :thumbright:

I must get around to trying one someday soon !

• Thanks 1

Thanks John. Yep seriously impressed and ready for a good summer at the eyepiece. I’d be very interested to see some comparisons of the DeLites vs some premium EPs (Pentax etc) and others in the TV family!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

Did you get the 9mm or any other focal lengths ? Nice report .

Thanks. Not yet as my Astro budget has gone towards an 80mm refractor, it’s worth saying that the 13mm Delite works incredibly well in this scope too. It’s my workhorse EP in both scopes. I’m almost certainly going to get another though, I think the 7 or 9mm would be best, I’m erring towards the 7mm. I’m hoping one shows up in the for sale section.

• Like 1