Sunspot 2812

reezeh

Decided to have a look at the sun using Altair herschel wedge on 102mm refractor today. Eyepiece used Vixen LV 8 - 24mm zoom and filters Baader solar continuum and out of curiosity OIII, red and deep blue, plus semi-APO.

No matter what, I couldn't make out 2812 at all, apart from perhaps the slightest glimpse, but the faculae 2811 stood out sharply. I checked on the status of the spots and the info said they've shrunk.

Did anybody have any luck seeing it today?

As a note, I did like the results of the continuum and OIII. The OIII seemed to bring out 2811 quite well. 

It was a tiny pore on the  site earlier but has disappeared.

I was rather hoping to catch something. It isn’t as if I have many chances or clear weather.

At least I saw some faculae, so at least it's not a total waste 

Edited by reezeh
Oops - doesn't make sense til I add "site" - which I should have put in!

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Was better a few days ago although still tiny. Maybe some proper spots next week? 🙏🏼🙏🏼

It's a pity that there's not a few probes in orbit of the sun. At least it'll give a heads up. 

On top of that, Bradford is even cloudier than the rest of the UK 😭

12 hours ago, reezeh said:

Decided to have a look at the sun using Altair herschel wedge on 102mm refractor today. Eyepiece used Vixen LV 8 - 24mm zoom and filters Baader solar continuum and out of curiosity OIII, red and deep blue, plus semi-APO.

No matter what, I couldn't make out 2812 at all, apart from perhaps the slightest glimpse, but the faculae 2811 stood out sharply. I checked on the status of the spots and the info said they've shrunk.

Did anybody have any luck seeing it today?

As a note, I did like the results of the continuum and OIII. The OIII seemed to bring out 2811 quite well. 

Yes it has shrunk. I imaged it for the first time on Sunday and looked for it yesterday and it was there but seemed to have split into two much small spots. I saw it(them) around 11AM and by 4PM couldn't see them.

3 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Yes it has shrunk. I imaged it for the first time on Sunday and looked for it yesterday and it was there but seemed to have split into two much small spots. I saw it(them) around 11AM and by 4PM couldn't see them.

I was wondering if it was just lost in the seeing for me. It was about 11 UT I started to look. 

Itching to know what's just beyond the limb coming around our way; anything worthwhile setting up for? 

I know that it's early days in the current cycle  and that trends have been downward. I just hope that for at least as long as I'm stuck with white light that there's something to see and no Maunder-type minimum in my lifetime at least.