Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moore "Spring" Marathon? What sky condition forecasting tool you use when planning?

Hi all,

I've realized that planning is very important in my short experience. As a newbie I found the Moore Winter Marathon very handy, as the planning was sort of already done for me. I managed to enjoy a couple of decent skies during the last two weeks. 

I was wondering if there was anything of the sort for the Spring months, or what's recommended in "Turn Left at Orion" are the best objects to go and observe. 

Another question that I have is Clear Outside what everyone uses for sky condition forecasting? or do you guys use something else?

Cheers,

Amaury

• Like 1

I prepare a few targets from TLAO, recommendations/observations made on SGL or from the top 500 binary list. I base the targets on likely visibility from my location, so South and South West are the areas of sky I am going for. It often doesn't go to plan. The Cass Nova has the habit of dipping out of sight so I always plan a few reserves. For example, I've just printed off three sheets of A4 with just Auriga doubles! A planisphere is a good way to get an idea of what is "coming up".

Clear Outside can be unreliable but I've not found anything better.

47 minutes ago, Spile said:

Clear Outside can be unreliable

I find it quite unreliable too. 

@ScouseSpaceCadet I'll try a couple of well known weather apps and check which is more reliable to plan ahead. 

@Spile I might get a planisphere. It's exactly when things don't go to plan that I am sort of lost at what to look at. Still learning my way around the sky.

Thanks for the comments

Our weather in the UK is inherently unpredictable, from the forecaster's point of view we are probably in the worst possible location for stable and hour to hour predictable weather. It's because we are on a small island, with the Atlantic Ocean to our west , and huge landmass to our east , so we get a lot of frontal systems zipping across and swirling around us in an erratic way . Add in the jet streams writhing away high in the atmosphere bringing us whatever air conditions they have, plus the ocean currents doing similar in the Atlantic .

spacer.png

My planning involves looking at clear outside the met office and the BBC weather site to get a general idea, but not trusting all or any of them entirely, and sticking my head out of the back door for a look.

Planning what to look at I check stellarium to see what is going to be visible from my garden (which has a good view south, but none nth and some dubious additional light pollution to the west ) then look at various lists to see what might be a good target.

Unless the Moon is up.

Then I look at the Moon.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 07:55, amaury said:

Another question that I have is Clear Outside what everyone uses for sky condition forecasting? or do you guys use something else?

I look at CO all the time, but I believe what it's saying only if we are experiencing a stable weather system, like a big high pressure area stuck over the country for a fortnight.

On 29/03/2021 at 11:47, Tiny Clanger said:

probably in the worst possible location for stable and hour to hour predictable weather

Loving the chart, Heather - is it in their website section "Why we Can't Tell, and Why we Really Need an Even More Massive Computer"?

On 29/03/2021 at 12:42, banjaxed said:

for a Norwegian weather forecaster they seem to be more accurate than our Met Office. 

That's setting the bar quite low!

When I first went on holiday to a hot part of the US, I was fascinated that they had whole TV channels devoted to weather that never seemed to change, while back home we had two-minute slots for forecasts that ranged over all four seasons in the coming week.

3 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Loving the chart, Heather - is it in their website section "Why we Can't Tell, and Why we Really Need an Even More Massive Computer"?

That's setting the bar quite low!

I thought the chart was a homage (an homage ? Depends if you voice the 'h' or not when saying it ! ) to the Dad's Army opening titles , I'd like a TV weather forecast where those arrows were animated and advance and retreat ...

A very good friend from uni. had their first job after their astrophysics degree at the Met office. Now,decades , several jobs in other areas,  and a PhD later, they can still be instantly triggered to a spirited defence of weather forecasters just by a casual reference to inaccuracy ...  Of course I never do such a thing to tease them ....  :evil4:

Predictions have improved enormously since the met office got their own Cray in the 1990s (no I've no idea what that is, but I heard a lot about it over many dinners ... , ) for example look at the percentage likelihood of precipitation , it is a very good guide for  the next day , and not bad for up  to 5 days into the future. And I believe they are actually getting a shiny new super dooper computer soon 🙂

Heather

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/03/2021 at 12:43, amaury said:

I find it quite unreliable too. 

@ScouseSpaceCadet I'll try a couple of well known weather apps and check which is more reliable to plan ahead. 

@Spile I might get a planisphere. It's exactly when things don't go to plan that I am sort of lost at what to look at. Still learning my way around the sky.

Thanks for the comments

Do you still need a planishere? I realised I had a second older one (2000 I think - not sure if they go out of date as such) - you are more than welcome to it to see how you get on with it before stumping up the money on a new one. It's not the larger 12" version but works ok. PM me you address if you want it and I'll send it down.

Richard

I'm in a Bortle 4 apparently but struggle due to local light pollution (next doors flood light and street lighting.

I have used an Android app (not sure if it is available for iphone/ipad) that I find quite useful for basic planning called Nightshift

Richard

22 hours ago, Richard_B said:

Do you still need a planishere? I realised I had a second older one (2000 I think - not sure if they go out of date as such) - you are more than welcome to it to see how you get on with it before stumping up the money on a new one. It's not the larger 12" version but works ok. PM me you address if you want it and I'll send it down.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I don't necessarily need one, it's a nice-to-have sort of thing really.

I think the stars move very slowly over decades but for the most part, the sky it's mostly the same as it was 20 years ago I think. For planets it's different story I guess.

I also use a couple of apps that are quite handy, they mess with your dark adaption, however.