Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinions Please on Zoom eyepiece.

banjaxed

A friend of mine gave  me a spotting scope zoom eyepieces to try as he doesn’t use it any more. It seems to work fine so I wondered if there is any significant difference between spotting scope and telescope eyepieces. This is the eyepiece.

image.png.80b8d2eccadd46eae9b2978ce176dca3.png

Sometimes slightly different design decisions in terms of distortion correction are made in spotting scope EPs compared to astronomical EPs, but I doubt there would be any major problems. There are several zoom EPs originally intended for spotting scopes that have gained a high reputation in astronomy (Leica and Pentax spring to mind)

• Like 1

Some spotting scope zooms are OK for astro use but not all. Generally the cheaper zooms like the Celestron will be OK. The Pemtax XF zoom is absolutely horrible for regular astro use but the Pentax XL zoom is great for astro use. 

BTW the Pentax XF zoom is great for solar Ha use though.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

That looks like the Celestron Regal Zoom. One of our members, @Louis D uses those with a binoviewer in astro scopes I seem to recall, and seems to think quite highly of them.

Yep, the same with different markings for multiple scopes.  They work great.  Just make sure it has a smooth zoom movement.  I recently picked up a used one for my daughter's scope for $50, and it's action is somewhat stiff.  Same optics, but stiff for some reason.  Both of my copies are buttery smooth in motion.  One is the Celestron, the other is Olivon.  The only difference is the Celestron has a ribbed metal grip while the Olivon has a rubber grip.  I think I paid $65 each for my copies a few years back.

If you ever want more eye relief for eye glasses or to attach a camera or other device to the top, just keep twisting the eye cup downward and eventually it will start to unscrew and come right off.  It's reverse threaded (righty loosey).

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG1276564184_ZoomEyepieceSideview.thumb.JPG.b8cc348b102cadc0925991b1545cc5b2.JPG

4 hours ago, banjaxed said:

It seems to work fine so I wondered if there is any significant difference between spotting scope and telescope eyepieces.

There's no filter threads on the bottom to reduce insertion distance for spotting scopes that don't have a lot of back focus available.  The moving lower element literally bottoms out flush with the bottom of the insertion barrel, so be careful when setting it down upright without a bottom cap.  Otherwise, no significant differences.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Yep, the same with different markings for multiple scopes.  They work great.  Just make sure it has a smooth zoom movement.  I recently picked up a used one for my daughter's scope for $50, and it's action is somewhat stiff.  Same optics, but stiff for some reason.  Both of my copies are buttery smooth in motion.  One is the Celestron, the other is Olivon.  The only difference is the Celestron has a ribbed metal grip while the Olivon has a rubber grip.  I think I paid $65 each for my copies a few years back.

If you ever want more eye relief for eye glasses or to attach a camera or other device to the top, just keep twisting the eye cup downward and eventually it will start to unscrew and come right off.  It's reverse threaded (righty loosey).

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG1276564184_ZoomEyepieceSideview.thumb.JPG.b8cc348b102cadc0925991b1545cc5b2.JPG

There's no filter threads on the bottom to reduce insertion distance for spotting scopes that don't have a lot of back focus available.  The moving lower element literally bottoms out flush with the bottom of the insertion barrel, so be careful when setting it down upright without a bottom cap.  Otherwise, no significant differences.

Thanks for your input, after trying it out again I decided to buy it as it seems to be a very well built eyepiece. Thank you for the tip about the lower element 👍