SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which mount?

I would like to buy a new mount for my 120mm x 1000mm Refractor telescope, I don't want to go down the goto motorised route.

I'm thinking just a simple manual mount, choices from what I have read are between the Sky Watcher  EQ5 and the Sky-Watcher AZ5 Deluxe Alt-Azimuth Astronomy Mount.

What would those with a lot more knowledge than myself recommend.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I’m currently in a similar situation..albeit with a Celestron C5. I was recommended the AZ-5 by many members, but I’m struggling to find them for sale...at least direct retail as there are big mark ups on auction websites. If you can afford to wait it may be worth doing so. My ball head mount needs to go soon...even locking onto the moon is real challenge with it.

39 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Skytee II alt-az mount is a great choice although a bit heavier duty than would be needed for your scope but would allow fitting a bigger scope later on. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-skytee-2-alt-azimuth-mount.html

That would be my suggestion as well :thumbright:

Would the Giro Ercole or Giro Ercole mini be worth considering? I have the mini - it holds up to 9kg per axis or 5kg if you only use one axis - I love the way you can mount two telescopes on it and I find it wonderful to use.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4202_GIRO-ERCOLE-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-up-to-18-kg.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-up-to-9-kg.html

Forget the Az5 for the 120mm. I tried my Ed120 on my Az5 with steel tripod and it was pretty shaky. The Skytee would be perfect, mine didn't even know the 120 was there and no counterweight either. I've just sold mine to advance to the Az100. 

Steve

• Like 1

There is an Altair Sabre in the Sales/Trade section. That's a solid mount for large refractors. It requires an EQ5 tripod.

However keep in mind that the Sabre doesn't come with slow motion controls. If you require it, you will need the Skytee2 (or AZ100 if you've got the budget).

• Thanks 1