Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD2 not working

Hello everyone

I've started astrophotography in September last year with the following setup: 

Telescope: WO ZS 61
Mount: EXOS-2 PMC8 (wireless connection to the laptop)
Camera: ASI1600MM Pro
Software: APT/N.I.N.A

Had no problem with this equipment, taking mostly 60s subs (rarely 90s with round stars) without guiding.

So...heading to the problem...

Recently bought an ASI120mm camera with an Artesky guidescope. On the first night with this setup, I've managed to take approx. 5x300s in N.I.N.A. After that my mount got suddenly disconnected and then PHD2 never worked properly.

I'm struggling for more than 2 weeks...

Having the following issues on different nights:

1. PHD2 error messages:
- pulse guide command to mount has failed
- RA calibration failed star did not move enough
- PHD2 is not able to make sufficient corrections in RA
- PulseGuide command to mount has failed - guiding is likely to be ineffective
- Although I start calibration within +/- 10 degrees of celestial equator I get the following message: "Calibration this far from the celestial equator will be error prone. For best results calibrate at a declination of -20 to +20."

2. The most recent one that happened 2 nights in a row without any error messages is that PHD2 loops infinitely when I start calibration. 

Tried the following "fixes":
- increasing calibration steps in PHD2
- using another USB Type-C cable (tried connecting guide camera to imaging camera and also tried connecting guide camera directly to the laptop)
- tried different USB slots
- rebalancing
- reinstalling all the software (ASCOM drivers, PHD2, N.I.N.A, APT, ZWO drivers)

I'm hopeless...

You can find my last PHD2 logs in the attachment.

I'm opened to any ideas, suggestions (buying a more capable mount is not an option at the moment)

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Vlad 

PHD2_DebugLog_2021-03-25_214115.txt PHD2_GuideLog_2021-03-25_214115.txt

Edited by Anonymous Astronomer

6 minutes ago, Anonymous Astronomer said:

Adding the correct logs. Sorry.

PHD2_DebugLog_2021-03-24_201800.txt PHD2_GuideLog_2021-03-24_201800.txt

Hi

I think your GuideLog from 2 weeks ago would be useful to have too, for comparison purposes.

From the Guidelog:

Calibration got to 57 steps before PHD2 gave up, it should take about 12 steps.

Here's a typical Cal:

GoodCal.jpg.22d66e514917793bc7ed71a08b34d7ad.jpg

Note RA and Dec moves are at 90 degrees to each other, and it took 12 to 14 steps.

Here's yours:

29Mar.JPG.a6baf0c6c27c68c581a7e20137ab879f.JPG

On this display RA is blue,  see how RA started moving North (from middle to position W5), at 90 degrees to the expected direction, shown by the blue line.

I expect the answer is a setting shown in the DebugLog, but I'm not able to understand those logs I'm afraid.

Upload both logs from the good and bad sessions to the PHD2 Help site, instructions in the Help menu (get the dates right !)

https://groups.google.com/g/open-phd-guiding

Some incidentals from the log:

This Cal was at Dec = 19, not a game changer, but hence the suggestion from PHD2 to Cal at Dec = 0.

RA Guide Speed = 6.0 a-s/s, Dec Guide Speed = 6.0 a-s/s.

A little low, 8 to 15 is normally used, try 10 / 66% / 0.66X, a setting in your mount.

Guidescope focus could be better, HFD = 4.35 px, use the Star Profile window in PHD2 to get that to its lowest reading.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KP82 said:

You will need a serial to USB adapter

I've bought today a serial to USB cable. I intend to use it tonight.

Thank you for the advice!

3 hours ago, michael8554 said:

I think your GuideLog from 2 weeks ago would be useful to have too, for comparison purposes.

Unfortunately I don't have that logs...idk why..

3 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Upload both logs from the good and bad sessions to the PHD2 Help site, instructions in the Help menu (get the dates right !)

https://groups.google.com/g/open-phd-guiding

Some incidentals from the log:

This Cal was at Dec = 19, not a game changer, but hence the suggestion from PHD2 to Cal at Dec = 0.

RA Guide Speed = 6.0 a-s/s, Dec Guide Speed = 6.0 a-s/s.

A little low, 8 to 15 is normally used, try 10 / 66% / 0.66X, a setting in your mount.

Guidescope focus could be better, HFD = 4.35 px, use the Star Profile window in PHD2 to get that to its lowest reading.

First of all, thank you so much for your time and for all the technical analysis.

I'll make all the recommended adjustments and also post the logs to the PHD2 Help group.

Hopefully I will be able to guide tonight with those adjustments and the USB-serial connection to the mount.

Cheers,
Vlad

To add to this, run the star-cross test in PHD2. This is a basic test, but will show you if you have any PHD2-driven mount motion issues. It's quick and easy to do and will rule out any obvious configuration (i.e. rate mismatches etc) or mechanical issues.

• Thanks 1

Old PHD2 Logs should be in the same folder as recent ones - unless you've deleted PHD2 at some point ?

Don't do that. You loose all your settings and Logs.

Just rerun the PHD2 installer, that refreshes the installation and keeps your settings.

Michael

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 00:25, discardedastro said:

To add to this, run the star-cross test in PHD2. This is a basic test, but will show you if you have any PHD2-driven mount motion issues. It's quick and easy to do and will rule out any obvious configuration (i.e. rate mismatches etc) or mechanical issues.

I will definitely try that.

Thank you!

21 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Old PHD2 Logs should be in the same folder as recent ones - unless you've deleted PHD2 at some point ?

Yes, I've deleted phd2...good to know that I can just rerun the installer.

Thank you!