Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good night for Schröter’s Valley - 25th March 2021

Stu

Just now, johninderby said:

Very nice. 👍🏻

There is a moon up there somewhere but no observing going on from here. 🤬

0B219462-CD50-4AB9-96BB-DF58E8F7D11E.jpeg

Shame. That one was actually from a previous session, illumination is a bit less tonight but should still be interesting.

Looking mixed here but I've popped a scope out in case I get a clear patch. Schroter's Valley is one of my favourites as well :smiley:

While doing that I watched a very bright ISS pass over, which was nice :smiley:

I've had some short cloud gaps so I've had some nice but rather brief views of the moon including the lovely valley @Stu has pictured.

Rather solid cloud cover now though so I suspect that's it for tonight :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is a quick shot from tonight, between that patchy clouds.

596C8171-2524-42B9-ADC3-21C1C42AA8C1.png

Yes! This is what I was watching too until some cloud started to build up. The Marius hills are also showing nicely, as is Schickard in the south. I tried go up to 300x but found that 180x was giving a better view, there seems to be a bit of turbulence tonight.

• Like 1

I've just torn myself away from the eyepiece and  come indoors for a quick bowl of pasta (long time since lunch)

Nice to have someone who knows their stuff confirm what I've been peering at ! The virtual Moon atlas does not show it as clearly as Stu's photo, but it does say :

"Remarkable rille. Directs to the North then turn to the West. Width varying 6 to 10 km. decreasing to 500 m to its West extremity. Begins to 25 km to the North of Herodotus by a lengthened craterlet called 'the Head of Cobra'."

I thought tadpole when I saw it , but yeah, why not cobra 🙂

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger
mangled English repaired
  • Like 3