Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can the HEQ5 be turned into a goto mount?

Mancunian Lee

the skyscan / synscan (name changed because of copyright issues only) WILL fit the HEQ5. I know cos I've got one.

Fitting it is dead easy but the working of it is only easy if you know what the stars are called. I did a piece (not very good, but saves me doing it agin now) in equipment review.

Basically it asks you to point it at stars to initially line it up. If you know where these are kept, you are laughing, if not it gets more fun.

Captain Chaos

Just found that and read it.

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=3012.0

TBH it doesnt sound right for me, if i want a goto i want one that will do all the work for me. The cheapest goto equivelent to what i have now is the Meade LX90 8" at £1600 :shock:I think the auto setup/GPS types are another £500.

Im still very new to this so ill just see how i get on with what i have for now, if i still want a go to soon ill prolly sell a guitar or two and pick up a posh goto.

Dont want to be selling guitars really, they are my family :lol:

I have a vixen GP and to convert that to goto is madness. two MT1 motors at £100 each, 2 clutchs at £22 each, just the dual axis dd1 controller is £129. God knows how much the ss2k controller is.

Have you looked into fitting Meade DS motors and using an Autostar handset Gordon? I've got that setup on my CG5 and it workks a treat.

Damo, looking on the 'goto4all' website it says "we use the #497 autostar handset".

Some folks over on UKAI were using this system on their GPDX and it works well. They seemed happy but only in the short term until an SS2K system came along. I think Bern at Modern Astronomy also sells the Meade Goto4all kit.

But it's no free lunch, at the end of the day Goto4all won't hold a candle to the Vixen SS2K system. But at £900 SS2K is a bit pricey.

I think you got a good deal from Andy Stentiford for the original Vixen motors and controller. Should easily be superior to the Meade and Skywatcher offerings.

Russ

But it's no free lunch, at the end of the day Goto4all won't hold a candle to the Vixen SS2K system. But at £900 SS2K is a bit pricey.

I think you got a good deal from Andy Stentiford for the original Vixen motors and controller. Should easily be superior to the Meade and Skywatcher offerings.

Russ

I agree, i am planning on getting the ss2k at some point as everything i read about it says it's the best goto system available but it IS expensive. For now just having dual axis motor control is a boon though. Plus if i have goto i might begin to get lazy and stop thinking about where things are in the sky! At least this way i have to still know what im looking at!

Archived