SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Missed opportunities

Oakbeard

I have a relatively nice darker spot near my big city, so tonight being clear I loaded up the car and off I went. It was really dark there and I must say that I chickened out... Clear nights dont come often round these parts but it is what it was. Surely I cant be alone in some last minute psychological self inflicted drama. So I hope this "report" can maybe offer a little consolation to some and a frustation outlet for me. 

• Like 1

I moved this to the Astro lounge, as it is Astro related.

It can be a bit spooky heading out on your own somewhere dark, and with expensive kit around. I’ve done this a few times and all has been well, but taking someone along with you is likely the best solution.

11 hours ago, Oakbeard said:

I have a relatively nice darker spot near my big city, so tonight being clear I loaded up the car and off I went. It was really dark there and I must say that I chickened out... Clear nights dont come often round these parts but it is what it was. Surely I cant be alone in some last minute psychological self inflicted drama. So I hope this "report" can maybe offer a little consolation to some and a frustation outlet for me. 

This has occurred to me several times and a solution that came to my mind, is a big dog with me! Something like an Old English Mastiff? You may need a van to transport it around, but I doubt anyone will bother you with one around. Saw two in Cornwall once, one was 19 stone the other 21 stone and in no way overweight. Lovely and very friendly, but I think the owner said they were descended form Roman War dogs... :rolleyes2:

About a year ago, I became a keyholder for my local dark site which has led to me being there alone a couple of times. It's very eerie. Last August, I heard people moving around nearby. They then proceeded to climb over the fence behind me. Turned out to be another member of the site and his son, coming to look for Perseids. Did leave me wondering how useful a weapon a 10" dob would be. I've also heard of a tale of a sheep finding it's way into the site which caused alarm to those observing and imaging that night! Sheep can sound pretty big when it's dark!

This is where EEVA can come in handy for your own safety if you are on your own in a remote spot.

I can remember having an encounter with a cow one night in my old DDAS days at our local dark sky site.

My heart was pounding a bit that night......

Last night the clouds unexpectedly cleared and I went out to try and see the nova , couldn't do it from my garden (my house was in the way) , too many streetlights and city skyglow to the north , so at around 1am I picked up cheap refractor and tripod , and marched around local roads to find a good spot . Lovely and quiet, found a location and stood around to let my eyes adapt. No strange noises, no worries, it was (to me) beautifully peaceful rather than eerily quiet. I spent over an hour alone, concentrating on the view through the 'scope.

I've been very well trained to think about personal safety ( studying aikido, teaching self defence) and positioned myself where I was sheltered from a street lamp by trees behind me, not just for the shadow, but also the natural debris under the trees would give me an audible warning of anyone approaching from the rear while I was concentrating on  the eyepiece. I was wearing a black jacket and not using my torch or 'phone, so would not be easy to notice, stood still and silent . My only slight worry was being seen from a house window, mistaken for a dodgy person, and have the police turn up to check me out !

No one passed by,  but if they had, and they had approached me, and  I'd thought they might offer a danger, I'd have shone my torch (which was handy in my coat pocket, 'phone on silent in the other pocket)  in their eyes, picked up the 'scope and headed off sharpish. We know how blinding a sudden light can be to dark adapted eyes, and whilst shining a powerful cree torch in someone's eyes is not nice, it could be construed as an accidental thing or an attempt to see who it is rather than an aggressive act. Carrying an item intending to use it as a weapon is illegal in England, but something like a torch, which you have a legitimate reason to have with you, is fine, If I had actually planned the dash out with the 'scope rather than done it on a whim, I'd probably have taken my big heavy 3 D cell maglite out with me instead ...

The extended tripod with the cheap little st80 on top would make a pretty good long range, fending off defensive tool : close the tripod legs together, hold the mount, and sweep the tripod legs low like a scythe. The least that will do is trip an agreesor up, the most would be a sharp rap on the outside of a knee which would floor them and possibly do some damage, and if you keep their end of it low they cannot easily grab the tripod from you.

None of those thoughts about where to be or what to do were worries , just automatically considered points and subconsciously prepared strategies , there's a fine balance between awareness and being neurotic 🙂 , the Japanese call the mindset zanshin .

And yes.I saw the nova 🙂

Heather

Although I live in a national park, my garden is plagued with being in close proximity to three street lamps within a 30m radius.

Therefore if I intend to observe anything beyond the moon and planets it has to involve a very short drive. 

As I noted I live in a national park therefore I have numerous sites with sqm readings of greater than 21 within a 10 minute drive - I consider myself very fortunate.  The interesting thing is, over the last 5 years I have only met one other person whilst out and he was doing some astro photography.  

I find that you do get used to the dark and isolation, if anything it is the noise from the wildlife that can unnerve you.  Key is to let someone know where you are going along with an expected return time.  

A thought.

Last week, I spoke to a local micro-brewer who lives in a very dark area and he offered me the use of his site for observing. Perhaps you could befriend a resident or farmer who would be willing to offer the use of their site to set up your telescope? 

Edited by Spile
  • Like 2

On 22/03/2021 at 12:01, Neil H said:

Graymouser You have the perfect dog in your avitar  can't beat a German shepherd

That's why they have the nick name of land shark 

Gimme a Yorkshire Terrier and day (or night). Protective, almost to a fault.

Then again, I observed a couple of times in a local small holdings farmer's field. 2 Donkey and a flock of sheep to keep me company.  IIRC, there was a herd of cows and a Bull close by. The bull never saw me as a threat, so kept his distance whilst keeping watch over his ladies.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Quite understandable initially. Unless you become a member of an astro society, when they are actually able to resume dark sky meets, feeling reassured at a dark sky location can take some trial and error. Getting to know a location fairly intimately and avoiding larger spaces, such as popular day time car parks, may be necessary. Solitary trips to dark sky locations are definitely what I enjoy the most and become too absorbed, preoccupied and eager to get set up whilst checking the sky to be put off by anything else. There are several places that I will venture to and feel at least 80% confident that no one else will be encountered. A good dark sky location, if you feel at ease is an exciting prospect. 

Worth mentioning also that, depending upon where you are, other night time folk might be nightscape photographers, entomologists, aurora hunters and even another amateur astronomer and not anyone threatening or more likely, annoying. In any case, standing around outside requires lots of layers, with my down filled smock, I must look a bit like Michelin Man, that potentially would frighten off anyone else.

Im not even sure what I was afraid off. The site was close enough to town that some people are bound to wander through. Mostly bored kids as I have seen them around or twice. I actually know a much better place fenced off and everything but it goes from 10 mins drive to 45. I think Ill try to befriend someone who wont mind some beers in exchange for letting me set up. For a laugh, it seems much less isolated seen from above 55.6876798, 12.3660658 :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spile said:

A thought.

Last week, I spoke to a local micro-brewer who lives in a very dark area and he offered me the use of his site for observing. Perhaps you could befriend a resident or farmer who would be willing to offer the use of their site to set up your telescope? 

That's were I am a lucky I have a static caravan on a farm next to a fishing lake so my telescope lives up there all summer the farmer has about 11 fields I can use but it's not bad just outside my van 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oakbeard said:

Im not even sure what I was afraid off. The site was close enough to town that some people are bound to wander through. Mostly bored kids as I have seen them around or twice. I actually know a much better place fenced off and everything but it goes from 10 mins drive to 45. I think Ill try to befriend someone who wont mind some beers in exchange for letting me set up. For a laugh, it seems much less isolated seen from above 55.6876798, 12.3660658 :)

That could be a factor, it is a commitment, I would be prepared to drive up to one hour away from home, must longer and I would plan to stop overnight such as taking a tent. 

On 22/03/2021 at 11:53, Greymouser said:

This has occurred to me several times and a solution that came to my mind, is a big dog with me! Something like an Old English Mastiff?

I go out on my own to isolated dark spots - if anyone comes near me, I'll chuck my N31T5 hand grenade at them... should put manners on them quicksmart getting a whack of that to the head 😂  T'would get a bit expensive though if I were to miss...