Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starlight Xpress SXV-H16 and SXV-M25C Power Cables

BlueAstra

I'm looking to add my Meade 80mm scope to my Esprit 150 in a dual rig setup. To tidy up the power cables I'm thinking of adding a Hitec Mount Hub Pro or Pegasus Powerbox to the scope mount and changing the power cables to 5.5/2.1mm power plugs to run from these boxes rather than to mains bricks. The dual rig will run a Starlight Xpress SXV-H16 (Esprit 150) and SXV-M25C (Meade 80mm). I think the 12V power bricks for both cameras are identical, but they both use a custom cable with a 90deg 4 pin plug at the camera, and a 5 pin DIN type plug at the PSU. I think the cable may also be two feeds, one for the cooler and one for the electronics. Ideally, I would like to remove the 5 pin DIN type plug and replace it with one (or two) 5.5/2.1 power plugs to run to the scope mounted power box. The Pegasus power box also has a variable output (3-12V) which might help if the two feeds are different voltages (hopefully not > 12V). Has anyone done this sort of modification to a Starlight Xpress power supply cable to run from a power box, or does anyone know the wiring schedule for the power cables? Or is it a non-starter?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

M25C Cable.jpg

M25C PSU.jpg

• Like 1

Here's what I did, opened up the box  de-soldered the low voltage board frm the mains transformer & reboxed it... now its 6x6x5cm weighs just 76grams! 

I think the camera requires 5v & cooler 12v as already suggested ask SX... Here's a link to a suitable cable if you don't want to cannibalise powerbrick or cables;

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-automation-cable-assemblies/1951784/

Peter

IMG_20210318_184824.jpg

IMG_20210318_184810.jpg

IMG_20210318_184630.jpg

IMG_20210318_184705.jpg

IMG_20210318_184724.jpg

IMG_20210318_184755.jpg

16 minutes ago, whipdry said:

Here's what I did, opened up the box  de-soldered the low voltage board frm the mains transformer & reboxed it... now its 6x6x5cm weighs just 76grams! 

I think the camera requires 5v & cooler 12v as already suggested ask SX... Here's a link to a suitable cable if you don't want to cannibalise powerbrick or cables;

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-automation-cable-assemblies/1951784/

Peter

IMG_20210318_184824.jpg

IMG_20210318_184810.jpg

IMG_20210318_184630.jpg

IMG_20210318_184705.jpg

IMG_20210318_184724.jpg

IMG_20210318_184755.jpg

Do you know the polarity of the orange terminals (12v dc IN) on the side of the PSU? There's nothing marked on mine. I like your modification, but its probably too much of an irreversible mod for me. I'll probably compromise and just run the PSU off 12V rather than the mains. I can place the PSUs at the base of the pier and run the camera power cable through the mount, but its not what I originally intended. I can't get confirmation of what voltages it uses for the two feeds, or what the pinout configuration is. If it was 12V and 5V, both these voltages could be supplied by the power box using the cable you suggest. If its more than 12V then the power box cannot supply it.

34 minutes ago, harry page said:

Hi

I asked this question a while ago and was told by Terry from SX that's is a no no for lots of reasons

so best leave it as it is

Harry

Sage advice! BTW, I think I bought the H16 off you many moons ago!

Graham

13 minutes ago, BlueAstra said:

Do you know the polarity of the orange terminals (12v dc IN) on the side of the PSU? There's nothing marked on mine. I like your modification, but its probably too much of an irreversible mod for me. I'll probably compromise and just run the PSU off 12V rather than the mains. I can place the PSUs at the base of the pier and run the camera power cable through the mount, but its not what I originally intended. I can't get confirmation of what voltages it uses for the two feeds, or what the pinout configuration is. If it was 12V and 5V, both these voltages could be supplied by the power box using the cable you suggest. If its more than 12V then the power box cannot supply it.

IMG_20210318_202710.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BlueAstra said:

Sage advice! BTW, I think I bought the H16 off you many moons ago!

Graham

Hi

yes I remember - glad its still going   I have a sxvf m25 which I run the power block of 12v rather than 240 v  works just fine :)

Regards

Harry

• 6 months later...
On 18/03/2021 at 20:37, whipdry said:

Hi Peter,

can you please tell me the wiring diagram of the 4 pole connector that plugs into the camera ?

thx Simone

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 22:17, simone pas said:

Hi Peter,

can you please tell me the wiring diagram of the 4 pole connector that plugs into the camera ?

thx Simone

Sorry Simone I don't know, probably best to contact Starlight Xpress... here's a link that mybe helpful as it has a recent post about power supply to an sxv h9;

https://starlightxpress.groups.io/g/main/topics

Hope this helps,

Peter 

• Like 1