Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First ever lunar sketches

kerrylewis

Inspired but the recent StarGazing episode, I thought I'd try my hand at some lunar sketches.

I must stress that these are based on photographs in a moon atlas. Next step will be to try some at the eyepiece

Kerry 

121548719_01-1(35).thumb.jpeg.0da58861cd9c166cda51aba1e8c8206b.jpeg1342214911_01-2(4).thumb.jpeg.608089bab67a4f4fc4c4d06afeff3cd4.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

That's fantastic Kerry. Practicing from photographs is a great way to get to grips with the varying techniques needed. I find the Moon to be the most difficult subject to draw, as there's too much detail, even in a small scope, and I really struggle to know when to stop before I ruin things. Even simple features soon become an overwhelming challenge at times. I really look forward to your finished sketch based on your sketches at the eyepiece. 👍

Thanks for the comments chaps.

At the moment I favour the slightly sketchy approach using pastel pencils rather than a more ‘photographic’ style. But I will try other media and perhaps a smoother, less textured paper. It’s all good fun 😀

• Like 1

Hi Kerry,

Your technique will work very well for lunar sketching, and also the paper you are using. I never do a completed sketch at the eyepiece - certainly not in pastel/chalk. I tend to do rough outlines, make notes and may be some detail for those interesting areas. Then re-do it all later. If you are not aware, there is the lunar 100 observing challenge which makes a wonderful sketching challenge and as you read up about the features you can learn up the moon geology/formation.  I certainly enjoyed locating and sketching this 'grand tour' - some are posted within the sketching section.

Have fun,

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments Mike.

I've not previously been to keen on lunar observations but I have dabbled with the 100. I think sketching may rekindle my interest. Thanks for the suggestion   - I will try the 'grand tour'