Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Image Acquisition Software for Mac

I have a CPC 800 Edge HD as well as an Orion Starshoot Autoguider.  I recently ordered a ZWO ASI294 MC Pro colour camera.  In terms of the auto guide function I had planned on using PHD2 (which I already downloaded onto my Mac laptop).   In terms of researching software that would allow for control of the camera I understand there are a number of options. I considered purchasing an ASIair, however, I understand that is not compatible with the Orion Starshoot Autoguider, and therefore I would need to replace that with a ZWO.  I am hesitant to want to do that, even though it would be convenient not to have to bother with laptop connectivity.  Right now I've been using my iPhone for goto functionality with Starsense and Skyportal wifi.  I understand there are a number of options available for Windows based PCs in terms of control of camera and image acquisition.  BackyardEOS (for DSLR cameras), Astrophotography Tool, and Nebulosity.  These seem to be the most popular.  However, it looks to me as though APT is just for Windows based PC.  As well, not sure the extent to which Nebulosity is seamless when it comes to Mac compatibility.  Is there a recommended Image Acquisition software for Mac users?  Is a Windows PC laptop dedicated for astrophotography the best approach (e.g. second hand etc)?  I would appreciate your recommendations.  Thanks

There's no doubt there's far less options on the mac - I'm not autoguiding, etc like you are, but even for regular AP stuff, limited options.

What I would say, is you can look at it as the best of both worlds - you can run windows software if you like - vmware fusion is free now so that, and a windows key from amazon for a tenner and you have a powerful fully compatible windows laptop running in your mac. Everything will work fine from usb to 3d stuff.

stu