sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

I have a CPC 800 Edge HD as well as an Orion Starshoot Autoguider.  I recently ordered a ZWO ASI294 MC Pro colour camera.  In terms of the auto guide function I had planned on using PHD2 (which I already downloaded onto my Mac laptop).   In terms of researching software that would allow for control of the camera I understand there are a number of options. I considered purchasing an ASIair, however, I understand that is not compatible with the Orion Starshoot Autoguider, and therefore I would need to replace that with a ZWO.  I am hesitant to want to do that, even though it would be convenient not to have to bother with laptop connectivity.  Right now I've been using my iPhone for goto functionality with Starsense and Skyportal wifi.  I understand there are a number of options available for Windows based PCs in terms of control of camera and image acquisition.  BackyardEOS (for DSLR cameras), Astrophotography Tool, and Nebulosity.  These seem to be the most popular.  However, it looks to me as though APT is just for Windows based PC.  As well, not sure the extent to which Nebulosity is seamless when it comes to Mac compatibility.  Is there a recommended Image Acquisition software for Mac users?  Is a Windows PC laptop dedicated for astrophotography the best approach (e.g. second hand etc)?  I would appreciate your recommendations.  Thanks

There's no doubt there's far less options on the mac - I'm not autoguiding, etc like you are, but even for regular AP stuff, limited options.

What I would say, is you can look at it as the best of both worlds - you can run windows software if you like - vmware fusion is free now so that, and a windows key from amazon for a tenner and you have a powerful fully compatible windows laptop running in your mac. Everything will work fine from usb to 3d stuff.

stu

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steenamaroo
      Not strictly astro-gear but I took a look at the rules and didn't see any restrictions.
      If this is a problem please just let me know, or remove it.
      2009 Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 firmware.
      2x X5680 3.33ghz CPUs - 12 cores total. 24GB (3x8) 1333mhz DDR3. AMD Radeon RX570 4GB. Apple GT120 GPU included (for recovery/boot screens) 256GB Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD on 4X PCI-e card (1) 256GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME on 4X PCI-e card (2) One CD/DVD R/RW/DL reader/writer. (room for two). Both SSDs do approximately 1400MB/s each way.
      Plenty of room for additional internal storage, with 4 X empty 3.5" bays.
      Latest officially supported OS is 10.14.6, which will be installed and up to date.

UK postage is an option - I have the retail packaging plus a layer of polystryene and additional outer box.
      Buyer assumes all postage related risks. Can send plenty of packaging photos in advance.
      Lovely condition - very clean - no dents or noticeable scrapes.
      Less than two year old PSU and new replacement logic board.
      UK + Bank transfer only - Looking for approx £800 but willing to talk.

Edit #1 : Pictures and further info.
      Northbridge plastic retaining clips are a known point of failure on 4,1/5,1 Mac Pros.
      This one had the clips replaced with metal nuts + bolts before there was any problem.
      Custom fan curves always kept NB temps at 50 or below.

Edit #2
      I've just been reading through the thread about scammers etc.

Perhaps I should have said while my post-count here is low, I've used the same name online for many years,
      and am long-time admin of a pretty popular forum.
      I'm not going to advertise that here but if anyone's interested in this machine I can send some links for character reference.
      I also have 100% on ebay (800+) and would be happy exchange messages from my account, for confirmation.
    • By Puffafish
      Over the winter I got into playing with a phone mount on my telescope eyepiece and got some pictures of the moon... But not much else as there are always limitations on what a phone camera can do (and how well I can align the camera to the eyepiece).

If I was to upgrade to a camera to mount onto my scope, what should I be looking for? I have been tempted to give it a go with whatever I can find on ebay or similar, but don't want to buy something only to discover that it's lacking something important. The only thing I know to look for at the moment is to make sure there is a suitable mounting ring for the camera (a T ring I believe they're called).

My targets will probably be: Orion nebular, Jupiter and Saturn to start with. This is purely because these are targets I know I can find.

Scope: Skywatcher Explorer 130P (650mm focal length, 130mm diameter)
    • By Quetzalcoatl72
      I have a C5 sct a ED80 and a RCT 8" f/8, I also use a canon 600da and a asi120 as a guide scope and I wish to photograph as many objects in the sky as my setup would allow. I've been doing 10-20 3min subs on each object and the weather has been kind enough recently so I have a fair bit now but I'm running out of the bigger ones. The obvious method is just cropping in processing but that would give less detail, a good example of the perfect size is crescent nebula. A bad example is basically anything that takes up less than 10% of the picture like the box galaxy cluster, eskimo nebula, fetus, snowball, cat's eye etc. I tried a 2x barlow on my rct but I need so many extension tubes that it would cause many problems, maybe a dedicated CCD camera will have a shorter fov?
    • By SamK
      After many hours of fiddling round with Registax wavelet settings to process my own solar system images, I've always been curious as to how it actually works. In doing so I've put together my own image sharpening program which does something similar to Registax wavelets. For comparison, I've also added some general purpose deconvolution techniques which you'll probably be familiar with from other image processing software (like Wiener inverse filtering, Richardson-Lucy, etc). In choosing a point spread function to deconvolve with, one suprising result was that the typical stack outputs from Autostakkert work best with a Lorentz point spread function (with a minor modification). Deconvolving with a Gaussian point spread function doesn't really work. Deep-sky images seem to deconvolve best with a Moffat point spread function (which is to be expected - it's already well established that star profiles in long exposures are best approximated with a Moffat function).
      On the whole, it's unlikely that you can sharpen solar system images much more in this program than you already can in Registax. You can see results from Registax wavelet (sharpening layers), inverse filtering (e.g. Wiener), and iterative deconvolution (e.g. Landweber) below. They all give very similar results. In all the techniques there's a similar trade-off between less noise but less detail vs more noise but more detail.
      There are some quick start notes on the first page of the Readme here:
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator/blob/main/Readme.pdf
      There are some examples of deconvolved images here (move mouse over image to see before/after):
      https://50000quaoar.github.io/Deconvolvulator/
      Image credits are on the hyperlinks
      The Windows download is here:
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator/raw/main/Deconvolvulator32.zip
      Example solar system tifs to experiment with are here:
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator/tree/main/image%20examples
      And the project page is here (with Source code in the src folder)
      https://github.com/50000Quaoar/Deconvolvulator
      If anyone finds it useful, do post here how it compares to other tools you use for solar system image sharpening.
      The download and the source code are free, you can use it unrestricted for any purpose. The OpenCV and OpenCVCSharp components which my program use have licence information at the end of the Readme.pdf.
      Sam

• By Planetarian
      Just thinking how this setup would compare to normal astrophotography setups. Imagine a Nikon coolpix p1000 on an equatorial mount. Has anyone done that yet? 
      As I saw in the YouTube videos about the camera, it has absolutely no chromatic aberration, so I assume it's got apochromatic lens. It's magnification is extremely good (125x with 16MP sensor). The aperture is quite small tho compared to many different refractors available. 

So what do you think about the idea:  astrophotography with a Nikon?  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.