Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 16th March 2021

dweller25

A nice clear evening so took the 4” refractor out for a look at Mars.

Seeing was initially very poor at twilight but got better by 19:15GMT so went straight to x384 to get a tiny disk that clearly had a phase and a bright preceding limb (mist/haze) but I could not detect any dark surface markings.

I think that’s it for me and Mars now this time around - roll on 2022 😁

But first let’s see what Jupiter and Saturn have to offer in the Autumn 👍 ..............

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 5

I managed to pick out a little of the detail, but by the time id finished playing compulsory snakes and ladders with my grandson, Mars was wel, past the meridian and in turbulent air. I believe we're looking roughly at the Solis Lacus region, but with the tilt lessening were not seeing it full on as before.

743971094_2021-03-1715_01_57.thumb.jpg.f3801c4d70f00c29f3a12344592252a4.jpg

• Like 4

Just had a look at Mars with my 130mm refractor at 300x. Small now innit ?

Some subtle darker markings on the southern part of the disk plus the phase but not a lot else. Have to rely on NASA's Perserverance rover and it's drone for Mars excitement for a while I think :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

@John

I was also out Wednesday 17th March at around 19:00GMT

Seeing was much steadier than on the 16th and I also saw a thin dark band running across the southern hemisphere and a phase and maybe a hint of limb haze at x160 but nothing else.

I will keep looking for a little longer..... weather permitting

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2

On 17/03/2021 at 20:09, John said:

Just had a look at Mars with my 130mm refractor at 300x. Small now innit ?

Some subtle darker markings on the southern part of the disk plus the phase but not a lot else. Have to rely on NASA's Perserverance rover and it's drone for Mars excitement for a while I think :icon_biggrin:

Yes, the Perseverance feeds are amazing to see 👍