Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding and Plate Solving - Which way to head?

DanLXIX

So up to now I've been using BackYardNikon to drive my camera and focuser, and Stellarium and the SynScan app to conrol my telescope. Having just started to dabble with guiding, I've just connected PHD2 and hit go without really knowing that much. My next step with this was to introduce Astrotortilla to help with finding things, and I've installed it but not had any clear skies to begin to try anything out.

Before I head down this path, is there a better route to take? I've just learned about NINA tonight which has triggered this question.

• Like 1

I have used BYEOS which is virtually the same. I have also used APT. I now use NINA.

I find NINA very easy to use - although like all software it has its quirks. The overall control is very good and the Framing Assistant combined with platesovling makes targeting a breeze. (ASTAP platesolving is better than AT in my eyes). Even if you do not have a rotator it will tell you how much to rotate your camera by hand. There is also a good auto focus routine which I use so I can go to bed!

Having said this, I image with a ZWO 1600MM as well as a DSLR so obviously it allows me to use one package. NINA probably takes a bit more 'setting up' than BYNIKON, but personally I think it is worth it. Have a look at the website - there is a lot of information and a good user guide. Ultimately, both do the job pretty well.

• Like 2

NINA is a great bit of kit. I have not used my gear for at least the last 6 months and within minutes I was up an running. NINA is very much like sgpro but in my opinion has some better options.

I just use stellerium to find a target and then use the search in NINA to get there. I also use cdc and connect this to my mount so I can see what is doable in my location.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spillage said:

NINA is a great bit of kit. I have not used my gear for at least the last 6 months and within minutes I was up an running. NINA is very much like sgpro but in my opinion has some better options.

I just use stellerium to find a target and then use the search in NINA to get there. I also use cdc and connect this to my mount so I can see what is doable in my location.

I have just downloaded NINA and had a play but no stars about so I could not platesolve but could just play at selecting targets and slewing to them.
I too used Stellarium as that is by far my preferred planetarium and you can click on the target in Stellarium and then tell NINA to get coordinates from Stellarium directly, no need to do a search in NINA. Basically like you can do in APT.
Like I say only just started using it so this maybe quite a new feature ???

Steve

I currently use NINA with my mono camera. It's very good but takes a bit of getting used to. It has good automation if you want to just set up a sequence and just hit go, as it doesn't need much user interaction if you have it set up well.

APT is also very good and is better suited for a DSLR user imo. It's not as 'automatic' as NINA and needs a bit more hands on approach but the UI is easier to navigate for a beginner. It has a Live View function just like your DSLR so handy for focusing. NINA lacks this function, or at least a decent frame rate Live View I find anyway.

PHD2 is pretty much the benchmark for most people who use guiding. Follow the on screen prompts to do a dark library for your camera,  make sure you have the correct focal length for your guidescope selected, run a calibration and then use the guiding assistant to give yourself some settings to start off with. Dont be disappointed if results aren't great at first, things can always be tweaked and improved.

I wrote a tutorial on setting up platesolving in APT a while back. I haven't had any complaints yet so it must work for most people!

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334568-setting-up-platesolving-in-astrophotography-tool-apt/

• Like 1

I use Apt with my Nikon and find it easy /simple to use , I use with my autofocus unit ,platesolve via Astap,connects to a variety of planetariums,   dither via phd2, it’s go to routine is great and go to++ is brilliant, the new autofocus routine is excellent , you can auto focus using a lens if you use a canon camera , you can run scripts which I have dabbled with ,in that I set it to park mount after finishing imaging run , if you use a ccd you can use a raspberry pi via server mode (dslr is planned to use server mode from v3.9 ) there’s quite a lot it can do to be honest and Ivo’s support on the forum is excellent, have a read through the APT manual for a full list of features 

https://astrophotography.app/UserGuide.pdf