Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

i have a cunning plan.....

Ghost66

I'm watching the clouds at this very moment! If you concentrate very hard on a single spot you should be able to burn a hole through!!

:laughing3: at myself! :(

You need to shine the big light from the Powertank through your scope at the clouds to burn the hole through them! :)

how about we use the old fog dispersal system they had in late ww2 for the emergency airfields ?

all you need is a length of pipe around your site, say in a cirlce about 1 mile across and then burn a very large amount of petrol through nossels along its length. it'll dispers the cloud no problem and after the air cools down you should get a couple of mins viewing before the clouds rol back in.

on the other hand you probably will get arrested and the heat will melt your scope

how about we use the old fog dispersal system they had in late ww2 for the emergency airfields ?

all you need is a length of pipe around your site, say in a cirlce about 1 mile across and then burn a very large amount of petrol through nossels along its length. it'll dispers the cloud no problem and after the air cools down you should get a couple of mins viewing before the clouds rol back in.

on the other hand you probably will get arrested and the heat will melt your scope

I am old enough to have seen that system in action - I think at Blackbush. The barrels lined the sides of the whole runway with masses of flames and huge amounts of black smoke pouring out. We, passing in a coach were not that far from one line. H&S - no chance. On the A30 road traffic went by as usual while some large planes came down to land beside us. I suppose, thinking about it now, they were landing there as London Airport was fogged in. But, as I passed there many years later quite regularly I alway wondered if I dreamed this scene from hell on a black black night.

why don't we all pretend to be cloud watchers. then the clouds will hide :mrgreen:

What do you mean - pretend?

I am a commited cloudwatcher.

:shock: (Looks up at clouds hopefully).

Cloud appreciation society sounds like a place for lateral thinkers.

I saw a cloud that looked like Homer Simpson's head once.

Clouds are like puppies.

They are utterly totally convinced that you are solely interested in them, and that they must hurl themselves at you in every way possible. Push them away, and they just come grovelling back even more to make amends for upsetting you. As a puppy will chew your slippers to be closer to you, a cloud will smother all over the thing you are viewing/imaging. As a puppy will forget itself and leave a puddle on the floor, so the cloud has the ability to ruin things by wetting all over them. There are big clouds and big puppies, and small clouds and small puppies. Generally, the bigger the cloud, the worse it's potential for damage.

And the final sure sign that clouds are like puppies.....they disappear upon production of a vacuum!

So my theory is simple. It's a long shot, but it just might work. Next clear night, if we all set our telescopes up, and have our Hoovers side by side with them, it just may be that the clouds rush to find somewhere to hide, probably under the stairs, sorry stars.

why don't we all pretend to be cloud watchers. then the clouds will hide :mrgreen:

What do you mean - pretend?

I am a commited cloudwatcher.

:shock: (Looks up at clouds hopefully).

Cloud appreciation society sounds like a place for lateral thinkers.

I saw a cloud that looked like Homer Simpson's head once.

I saw a Great Gonzo cloud once. But my favourite sighting was one that hung over Reddich for hours - It looked just like that produced by an Atom Bomb. Reddich has got to many roundabouts - never liked it anyway!

The cunning plan worked tonight too!

It was all cloudy until 11ish, then it cleared up a treat.

I've just come in - dew and frosty feet were the cause, rather than cloud.

Saturn, the open clusters in Auriga and the double cluster were stunning.

I love my new WO 2" star diagonal - thank you whoever it was who suggested the upgrade. I even managed to carry my 8se without slipping over (the path was well-salted tonight).

I hope some of you guys also had a super evening.

Lulu

I love my new WO 2" star diagonal - thank you whoever it was who suggested the upgrade.

Hi Lulu.

Is it a lot better than the one supplied with the Celestron? I've been told that it's worth upgrading, but how does the difference manifest itself?

Sorry if off-topic. Discovered my scope is a also a cloud-attractor... :(

Archived