Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dovetails, Vixens and Losmandys

fortytwo

Hi all,

I am currently looking to upgrade to an APO refractor but I am getting myself mightly confused over the mounting bar.

I am looking at either the Skywatcher 72ED or the Williams Optics Zenithstar 73.

I currently have the HEQ5 mount and the Skywatcher Star Adventurer Pro mount. I am assuming that the 72ED will fit on both mounts with the supplied mounting bar, however I cannot figure out if the Zenithstar 73 will also fit with its supplied bar.

If anyone can help explain the mounting bars, or direct me to a good information source with pictures I would be very grateful. I have read through several threads on here but it confused me more!!!!

Whilst here, if anybody has any strong opinions on the choice of telescope I would be interested in your views as well.

Thankyou,

Jeff

1 hour ago, fortytwo said:

Hi all,

I am currently looking to upgrade to an APO refractor but I am getting myself mightly confused over the mounting bar.

I am looking at either the Skywatcher 72ED or the Williams Optics Zenithstar 73.

I currently have the HEQ5 mount and the Skywatcher Star Adventurer Pro mount. I am assuming that the 72ED will fit on both mounts with the supplied mounting bar, however I cannot figure out if the Zenithstar 73 will also fit with its supplied bar.

If anyone can help explain the mounting bars, or direct me to a good information source with pictures I would be very grateful. I have read through several threads on here but it confused me more!!!!

Whilst here, if anybody has any strong opinions on the choice of telescope I would be interested in your views as well.

Thankyou,

Jeff

Both scopes come with a Vixen style dovetail so should fit your mount assuming it has not got a modified saddle. Losmandy dovetails are wider than vixen style dovetails.

19 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Both scopes come with a Vixen style dovetail so should fit your mount assuming it has not got a modified saddle. Losmandy dovetails are wider than vixen style dovetails.

Hi Shimrod,

Thanks for the reply, at least I now know they will fit.

Your query caused me to check the weights of the ED72, and at under 2K wheel withing the sky adventurer two - which is good news for me as I have once

Now to see what else I have that might work with it :)