Narrowband

Canon D600 focus on 150P

1 hour ago, barbulo said:

This one

Ah, OK,

As you're going to need a coma corrector anyway, this one will enable you to reach focus easily with your dslr without having to move mirrors, cut tubes, or use Barlow lenses. 

The big advantage of this combination over the PDS is that you get to keep the small secondary mirror. 

HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @alacant

Could you please elaborate on this?:

1 hour ago, alacant said:

The big advantage of this combination over the PDS is that you get to keep the small secondary mirror. 

I thought SW PDS scopes focusers were better for AP. 

In theory yes, as you have the dual speed focuser and larger mirror. For a full frame camera it could be an issue, but with a 600D you should be fine. The advantage of a smaller mirror is more light in and better contrast for visual. As I said, I use a 200P with a Baader coma corrector and it is fine.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, barbulo said:

please elaborate

The larger the secondary mirror, the greater the obstruction in the light path. Most noticeable as a reduction in contrast.

If you are not tied to the 150p, the 150pds will also work with your 600d.

Budget sw focusers for ap? My experience is unsuitable for publication on a family site.

4 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Baader coma corrector

The OP needs a coma corrector which moves the focal plane away from the tube.

Edited by alacant

• 1 month later...
On 13/03/2021 at 12:33, alacant said:

Ah, OK,

As you're going to need a coma corrector anyway, this one will enable you to reach focus easily with your dslr without having to move mirrors, cut tubes, or use Barlow lenses. 

HTH

Hi Alacant,

I have a 150PDS and an EOS 600D on order (will be getting modded). Just wanted to clarify from your comment - should I be looking for a different coma corrector?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

22 minutes ago, Sabalias said:

a different coma corrector

Hi

That one will work but it will push your camera focus position way out from the tube creating a moment which will stress the focuser and be difficult to balance.

For the PDS we'd recommend the 4 element GPU cc. If you can't afford that, the 2 element sw 0.9 cc would be our second choice. Both will give sensible focus positions with PDSs.

HTH

• Thanks 1