Easy inline stepper motor box (almost no soldering) - is this a viable project?

StevieDvd

Over on cloudynights there is a thread on Plug & Play Focus controllers (see PDF attached) that I hope I can use as a guide using the following:

Arduino Leonardo

Motor shield

I understand these are the main parts needed apart from some 9 pin D connectors etc and enclosure. But this would work out around £25-£30 built and I may go for 2 or 3 of them, so is this an overkill for the task?

They will be used inline with RPI running Astroberry/Stellarmate and have a usb & 12v power in to a 9 pin serial out to either a Moonlite or Lakeside stepper motor (I have both)

My soldering skills are not up to much so either the above or I'd need the skills of a builder to create any cheaper home brew styled ones.  I'm not looking for any controls /lcd screens just simple boxes with the right in/out leads.

Thanks for any suggestions

Steve

PNP Focuser V2.0 Documentation.pdf

4 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Have a look at Robert Brown's Arduino Focuser Pro2 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinoascomfocuserpro2diy/)

I've built a few, and with the software\drivers that Robert had written, means they can work with all the main software systems Windows\Linux etc....  

Thanks, I was aware of his projects but a little beyond my skills to assemble.