SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Winchcombe Meteorite

John

This is great that material has been recovered from this witnessed fall and onto the UK as well.
I look forward to seeing what research comes from this.
This in my view is scientific in nature not for the collectors such as many of us here and elsewhere.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Alan White said:

This is great that material has been recovered from this witnessed fall and onto the UK as well.
I look forward to seeing what research comes from this.
This in my view is scientific in nature not for the collectors such as many of us here and elsewhere.

I agree. It will be very interesting to see the results of the classification and analysis of this meteorite. It will join some of the most famous names in carbonaceous chondrite meteorite "falls" such as Allende (Mexico), Tagish Lake (Canada) and Murchison (Australia).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, John said:

A "witnessed fall" and a carbonaceous chondrite as well. The 28th February fireball did make it to the earth:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56326246

If any of this material ever makes it onto the market, the price will be pretty "astronomical" :rolleyes2:

I thought it was great that the finder chose to donate it to science.

Contrast this to a news article from last year where a meteorite crashed Through a roof and the owner sold it for £1.4 million...

• Like 1

Interesting initial views from the experts at the Natural History Museum. They comment on the apparent similarities between this newly fallen meteorite material and the asteroid specimens returned from the Hayabusa2 and OSIRIS-REx missions:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2021/march/uk-fireball-meteorite-has-been-recovered-driveway-gloucestershire.html

Much more to come I'm sure, as the analysis of this material continues.

Edited by John
  • Like 3

So the 🇺🇸 spend approximately 1 billion dollar to collect 50 grams of rocks and dust.  And even before their mission is completed, people in the Uk find pieces of 300 gram each in their backyard🙂

Edited by Robindonne
  • Haha 1

I have a camera as part of the Global Meteor Network.  This article describes the GMN's contribution to observing and predicting the landing area.  The main picture is from my camera, which was the closest of the GMN's network - about 40 km south of the eventual find.

spacer.png

• Like 4