Narrowband

How to mount a camera lens + astro cam?

dannybgoode

Continuing my occasional series of potentially stupid questions...

Let's say I have a camera lens, a dedicated astro camera plus filter wheel and the means of attaching the two together. 

How do I then go about attaching that onto my mount and possibly add a guidescope and cam?

A lens clamp might be the first step.  Depending on the length of lens you are using, that may be all that's needed.  For my 200 mm Canon lens I found I needed two clamps. 

The guidescope and guidecam were clamped next to it on an aluminium plate but you can buy dedicated platforms with all manner of holes for scope rings and such.

Pictures and other suggestions in the thread here:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Philip R said:

No - I mean how to attach the camera, filter wheel and lens as an assembly onto the mount.  I have the various adapters I need to connect the imaging train together, I just need it on the mount :)

25 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

No - I mean how to attach the camera, filter wheel and lens as an assembly onto the mount.

Simples!

scope-rings.png.c064bed55447d439c2d5aa25e8e108b6.pngdovetai-bar.png.ef59e39e0b789e573337b981df9c331c.png

Get some scope / finder rings of a suitable size. Attach them to parts of the assemble that do not move (i.e. aren't part of the focussing or aperture mechanism) preferably as far apart as possible. Then change the position of the rings ;) so that they will fit through the holes of a dovetail bar. The dovetail will attach to your mount.

• Like 1

What lens have you got?

I have the Samyang135mm lens and bought these from Astrokraken in France.   I mount it on top of my ED80 and use my finderguider attached to that.  Though the Astrokraken rings do have a slot for a finderguider, but I found the EFW got in the way of the finderguider. 

You might be able to get someone to create something similar for you if it is a different lens.

Or, if you have  a ball head, you could mount the ball head onto a dovetail or something and attach the camera to that.

Carole 

IMG_1146.JPG

Probably the simplest method would be to use a camera dovetail with 1/4" tripod screws, like this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

Due to availability, I bought a video tripod dovetail, but I had to cut some of its ears in order to fit in the Vixen saddle of my HEQ5 mount.

N.F.

For me 3d printing has opened up ways of rigidly holding camera/FW/lens and attaching to a dovetail.  I was able to incorporate a microfocuser in the design too.

I did use guide rings (as posted above) to good success too.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Nikon QHY9 holder angle v15.jpg

• Like 3

@tooth_dr I keep looking at 3D printers thinking 'I really want one of those but can I really justify one'. And then people post some really handy looking stuff they've created and I edge a little closer to getting one :)

I want to make an adapter to mount my Bahtinov mask that i got for my 105mm frac onto my Sony RX10 and a 3d printer would make that a doddle too...

17 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

@tooth_dr I keep looking at 3D printers thinking 'I really want one of those but can I really justify one'. And then people post some really handy looking stuff they've created and I edge a little closer to getting one :)

I want to make an adapter to mount my Bahtinov mask that i got for my 105mm frac onto my Sony RX10 and a 3d printer would make that a doddle too...

A word of warning... a 3d printer isn't a tool, it's a hobby!

A very, very useful and rewarding one, though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1